Once Upon A Dream

"Love, what are you doing? We're going to be late."

I ran my fingers through my hair as I wait for Nadine. She's taking too long to fix herself.

When she was finally ready, she came out wearing a casual beige top with some black shorts and sandals. Her hair was in a bun and she had her glasses on.

"I'm sorry for taking so long, love. I accidentally brushed my mascara so I had to redo my makeup."

I just nodded before grabbing the keys and opening the door for us to leave.

When we got into the car, she reached out and embraced me.

"Sorry na love, wag ka na magalit please."

I looked over to see her giving me puppy eyes. How could I resist her? How could I resist those cute eyes that are begging me for forgiveness?

I just pouted and asked for a kiss.

She just laughed at me.

***

"James!"

I turned around to see my girlfriend running towards me in a simple yet gorgeous white knee-length dress with light makeup and loose curls. She wasn't wearing heels so was right in front of me within a few seconds. 

"Love! What are you doing just standing there? Let's go!"

I blinked to see her looking at me.

"Are you okay? You seem out of it right now."

"Yeah, I am."

She nodded before starting to walk pulling me along with her. We walked along the path of some huge garden. 

There was a majestic gazebo at the end with dinner set up for two. We sat down and a waiter went up, poured us some wine and left. 

"Happy Anniversary Love! Thank you so much for this. For everything. I love you so much."

I turned to her and smiled. I stared at her deep and expressive eyes that were glistening. Shining. I looked at her and fell. Her eyes were always one of my favorite things about her. They were always so deep. So expressive. They even shine when she smiles and laughs. They crinkle. 

"Anything for you, love. I love you so much. So much more than you could ever imagine."

***

"James! My water broke!"

I stood up immediately and ran to the kitchen where Nadine was making us some dinner.

I tried to check up at her but she started hitting and screaming at me to get the keys, so I did. I went back to help her into the car before driving as fast as I could, probably putting tons of violations up on my license.

She was rushed to the delivery room the moment we got into the hospital. She was screaming in pain. If I could only be the one hurting, I'd do so. I hate seeing her like that. It hurts.

She was checked on by the doctor. The doctor said that the umbilical cord was around the twins' necks and that Nadine had to undergo caesarean delivery.

Before I could decide, she stopped screaming and blacked out.

***

I woke up to my kids screaming. I opened the door to Colm and Rudy jumping on the couch while Maddie was eating cereals.

"Daddy! Come on! It's mommy's birthday today!" Colm called as he rushed to pull me.