"But, I don't have a date"

"May date na daw siya! Nireject niya ako! Bes, sobrang nakakahiya! Sa cafeteria pa, ha! Sa harap ng lahat!"  Ericka complained to me. 

Apparently, James rejected her promposal to him that afternoon. 

"Sis, kausapin mo siya, please! Kahit hindi na ako, tanong mo nalang kung sino date niya! Dali, please!" She pleaded as she grabbed my arm and shook it as if there was no tomorrow.

"Okay. I will," I answered just to pacify her.

***

"James!"

I called out to him, running against the flow of the people in the canteen. 

"James!" 

No response.

"James!"

I called him one more time and, thank God, he finally looked back. He waited for me to reach him before greeting me.

"Hey, Naddie!"

"Hey, I heard you got a prom date already. Who is it?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant. 

"Prom date? I haven't asked anyone out yet," he looked at me confused. 

"Ericka told me.."

"I don't have a partner for prom on Tuesday, so I guess you'll be my date." 

"What?"

"We had a pact, remember? If both of us doesn't have a date for prom a week before, we go together."

"But Ericka.."

"And that's why I'll be needing the color of the dress you picked for prom so that we could match."

"But..."

"I already talked to your parents this morning, and I'll be fetching you at home at prom night."

"James, I.."

"And I'll be your first and last dance on prom. Promise me."

"I promise, but James..."

After everything, I couldn't finish what I was saying. He looked at me and laughed. 

"I like you, Naddie. I'm excited to be your prom date. And if Ericka asks, tell her to come to me and I'll be the one to tell her that I'm going to prom with the most beautiful girl."

He then came close and whispered to my ear. 

"Also, Naddie, you're redder than a tomato."

He pulled back and laughed. I hit his arm in retort.