But Why are You Here?

I wake up as I heard some shuffling outside my door.

It looks like somebody's going through... my kitchen?

I'm pretty sure I didn't get drink or did anything that I'd regret last night. I went straight home from work. I haven't even finished unpacking my things yet.

I looked at the alarm clock beside my bes to see it was quarter to eight. Well, it's about time to wake up, anyways.

I groaned as I stood up and scratched my head before opening the door to find this girl, one that I'm sure I haven't seen before, cooking something in my kitchen with television on. She was even wearing an apron and was humming to some tune.

I cleared my throat and she froze. She then turned to me, looking all guilty.

"Who are you? What are you doing in my kitchen? In my house?"

"Okay, I'm so so sorry. I'm Nadine and I'm your next door neighbor and the one who used to live here was..."

She started mumbling and moving her hands all around trying to explain and I honestly couldn't understand. I tried to ask her to slow down or stop but she wouldn't so I walked to her and grabbed her by the shoulders.

It was obvious that she was surprised. She slowly looked at me in the eye.

"Nadine, is it? Calm down."

She gulped before nodding her head.

I could already smell that was she was cooking was starting to burn so I told her, "Let's talk after you finish cooking."

I quickly took a shower and put on a plain white shirt and some jeans. I went out to see her putting the food on the table.

Eggs, bacon, ham and rice.

I grabbed some silverware and plates and sat down.

She was just standing near the table with her head down. I looked at her. I knew she could feel my stares. She looked at me before shyly sitting in front of me.

I bit into a piece of bacon before looking at her again.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry for intruding. It's just that the guy who used to live here was my bestfriend and I stayed here a lot and I guess old habits die hard?"

She was biting her lip and she hasn't touched any food yet and I just smiled.

"So, what do you do? Are you still studying?"

She looked confused. "Aren't you mad?"

I chuckled.
"It's my first day here and I get free breakfast and maybe, a new friend, I'm not mad."
"Promise?"
"Promise."

She then smiled at me before stuffing her face with rice and eggs.

She's cute, I thought to myself.

"Alam mo ba, oh wait do you speak Filipino?" I nodded. "Alam mo ba, the one who used to love here, we met sa class and then we became partners sa research project and we did it here and starting then, we became close and I was always here but my friend, Kiana, her dad was sick so she had to move back home temporarily and..."

This girl talked a lot. Usually, I'd get bored but I found myself listening to her and laughing along. She's very corny. We have a lot in common and we go to the same uni.

I have a feeling this girl would still stay a lot in this apartment.