2. And the months seemed to fly.

Note:
Names of places (e.g. universities) mentioned in this book from this chapter onwards are a part of the author's imagination.

It was unbelievable how quickly time passed. I mean, I felt I had just graduated from A levels, and the months seemed to fly after that! Before I even knew it, two months had already passed and now, I was to travel abroad for my further studies tomorrow!

"Aliyah, did you pack those cookies I made for you? And what about the medicines I gave you just in case?" Mum said, entering my room as I was packing my abayas in my suitcase. Typical mum! But I wasn't complaining.

"Yes, ma. I did," I replied.

"And what about warm clothes? You'll need to take sweaters, scarves and socks!" Mum said.

"Yes, mum, I packed them too!" I said, taking out a long skirt to fold and put it in my suitcase.

"And did you pack - " mum said, but I politely interrupted her by gently grabbing her shoulders.

"Mum, please don't worry about all of that! I've packed everything you told me to pack last night, so you don't need to remind me again, okay?" I told her, kindly. I understood her concern, and I was happy that my mother was so worried about me.

"Okay, I just hope you're not forgetting anything," mum said.

"I'm not, mum," I said, letting go of her shoulders to get back to my packing.

"You know," mum mumbled. "I'm really going to miss you!" She blinked furiously, and I knew she was holding back tears. My own eyes filled with tears and unlike mum, I didn't try holding them back, and let them fall freely down my cheeks.

"Mum...I'll...miss you...more!" I choked between sobs.

"Oh! My baby! Don't cry!" Mum said, wiping my tears. She engulfed me in a hug and I clung on to her tightly.

After some time, when we calmed down, mum told me she needed to go to dad's company to sort out some files, and she left me to complete my packing.

Once I had everything done, I sat down and decided to go through my acceptance letters. One was from Goldwick Valley University, or GVU as everyone there called it, and the other was from University of Southeast Cliffeshire, or USC. Both were equally good, but I had chosen GVU, because that's where my oldest brother had started his further studies before the incident. I really looked forward to going there, and despite my nerves and slight anxiety, I couldn't wait for tomorrow.

As I sat there, thinking about the university, I didn't notice Arif's presence in my room until he came and tickled my waist from behind, making me squeal. He knew exactly just how ticklish I was and always used it to his advantage.

"Arif, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" I said, and that just made him tickle me more, causing me to burst out laughing. I was breathless and I tried to struggle but he was stronger than me. I then elbowed him in his ribs and that got him to move away from me.

"Now, now! This is not how you treat your awesome, handsome, amazing brother, is it?" Arif asked, raising an eyebrow at me while nursing his side.

"I never told you to come and tickle me!" I retorted.

"Aw, come on, Al! When you go away tomorrow, then who will I tickle? Asiyah isn't ticklish, and as for Asif, truth be told, I don't even want to know whether he's ticklish or not. The truth might end up being too bitter for my liking!" Arif replied.

I burst out laughing at the thought of my brother Asif being ticklish. That would be awful and so embarrassing for him, yet it was a hilarious thought.