27. Stereotypical, huh?

"Aliyah, the Adhan is in fifteen minutes, please let's go down to wait for iftaar," Asif said, entering my room.

I quietly nodded and followed Asif out of the room.

Ramadhan had just started. It was the third fast, and it had been a week since I got engaged.

As we made our way downstairs, Asif decided to break the silence with a question I really didn't want to answer.

"Why are you still moping when you are the one got yourself into this situation? No one forced you into this, Al, and Arif and I did warn you against agreeing to this!"

I kept quiet. I knew that he was right. Even though I had felt like I had no choice because I didn't want to disappoint mum, I did have a choice. Mum would have understood had I have said no. No one forced me into this. And as for the answer to his question, I just realised what I've actually just lost because of my insecurities and the kind of situation I am in, so I couldn't help but mope. But I didn't say anything to Asif.

I had been told and I had heard that any du'ah made at the time right after iftaar would be bound to be accepted because it goes straight to the throne of Allah. And that inspired me, so as soon as I found myself sitting with my family around the dining table in one of the dining rooms, I began to pray to Allah to guide me and do all that was best for me, and I knew that Indeed, my Lord is the hearer of the supplication [Qur'an, Surah 14, Ayah 39].

So I made du'ah with all my heart.

Ya Allah, please help me out. I've become so down and I can't even be happy right now. I feel hopeless and helpless. Please Allah, do whatever is best for me the way You always have, because You do know what I know not.

Also Allah, being a human, I can't help but make mistakes and commit sins, so please forgive all my sins, for surely Allah You're the Oft-forgiving and You love to forgive so please forgive me.

Ya Allah, always be by my side, Ameen.

That moment after making du'ah was the most peaceful moment, and it gave me newfound hope. Maybe it was because I knew that du'ah made at this time wouldn't go unanswered. Or for that matter, even at all times, Allah does hear the du'ah made by His creation.

That night, after Taraweh, I was sitting in my room, on the floor, silent tears streaming down my face as I was lost in thoughts, when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in," I called, hastily wiping my tears away.

The door opened and mum walked in.

"Aliyah, dear? Why are you sitting on the floor?" Mum asked, when she saw me.

"Just like that, mum. No reason," I answered.

"Aliyah, I came here to tell you that I just spoke to Mrs. Rafiq," mum said.

Just perfect! The last thing I wanted to hear was anything about the Rafiqs that would remind me of Talal! I thought.

"Mmhmm?" I murmured, not really in the mood to talk about it.

"She thought that it would be perfect to keep your wedding for right after Ramadhan. What say?" Mum asked.

"Mum, if I told you I didn't want it after Ramadhan, what would you say?" I asked, testing the waters.

"Darling, I would want whatever you would want. But in this case, the Rafiqs have more say. I know financially and status-wise Alhamdulillah we are above them, not in a bragging manner of course. But these people are a little stereotypical, so they feel that just because they are the boy's side, they have more say. And Mrs. Rafiq is very adamant on right after Ramadhan. Yet, honey, if you're not going to be comfortable, I can try talking to her?" Mum replied.