12. What in the world was going on?

Evenings. Evenings were my favourite times of the day because of several reasons. Firstly, I'd be back from University. Secondly, I'd get a chance to chat and spend time with Umniyah. Thirdly, the two of us could go on our outings in the evening. And lastly, evenings signify an end to yet another day away from home.

But this evening was different. I was all alone in my dorm. Umniyah had gone for some work experience program at a hospital, where she would be staying overnight. Some medical students would have to practice being on call while still in university. Although I had around two projects to complete, I still missed her company and I was getting bored to death. I stretched my arms over my head and looked at the time. It was eight o'clock. Not wanting to cook some dinner for myself or getting some from the cafeteria, I decided to drop by one of the restaurants opposite the hostel from where I could get a take-out.

I grabbed my abaya and put it on, and pinned on my hijaab neatly, making sure that every strand of my hair was covered. Grabbing my phone and my keys, I put them in my purse and left the dorm. I went down in the elevator, and then got out of the building altogether. After crossing the busy road, I entered an English restaurant, and placed an order for some take-away fish and chips. As I was waiting for my order, my phone rang. I checked the caller I.D, and it was Umniyah. I immediately answered her call.

"Hello, Umni?" I said into the phone.

"Al, where are you right now?" She asked, a hint of urgency in her voice.

"At the English restaurant opposite the hostel. Why, what's up?" I asked.

"Nothing, just asking," she replied and before I could respond, she ended the call immediately.

That was strange! I thought. Why does she want to know my whereabouts for no reason?

I was puzzled and I tried to rack my brain for any idea as to why she asked me where I was. But what raised my suspicions even more was the urgency in her voice. I knew her well enough to be able to detect the seriousness in her voice.

I pushed the thoughts away from my mind, and hoped that nothing was wrong. Fifteen minutes later, my food was placed before me in a take-out bag. I took the bag and stood up to leave the place.

Just as I was stepping out of the restaurant, I saw the silhouette of a figure running towards my direction in the twilight. I squinted to see who it was, but I couldn't make out the features due to the dark. When that person was close enough, I realised that it was none other than Farshad and I forced myself to look down.

What is wrong? Why is Farshad coming towards me? I thought, bewildered. Immediately, my thoughts went back to Umniyah's phone call. Had that phone call anything to do with why her brother was coming towards me? I thought, staring hard at the ground.

"Aliyah!" Farshad said, and I lifted my head up, trying not to stare at his face directly. His voice sounded...grave. Okay, seriously! What in the world is happening here?! I wondered, getting tensed.

"Yes?" I managed to say.

"Aliyah, you'll have to come with me! Please, don't ask any questions, I'll explain everything to you, but please, just come with me!" Farshad pleaded with me.

"Is it Umniyah? Is she alright?" I immediately asked, my eyebrows furrowing in worry.

"No, Aliyah. I'll explain everything to you but please don't ask me anything right now! Just come with me!" Farshad insisted.

Ya Allah! How can I go with a non-mahrem man? Granted he was the brother of my best friend so maybe I could trust him, but still. He was my non-mahrem. And what's worse is that I was attracted to him, which makes things dangerous. Ya Allah, how can I go with him?