3. Goodbyes are tough.

Sitting in dad's car on our way to the airport, I looked out of the window to take in my surroundings for the last time. I was going to miss this place! I could hear Arif and Asif's constant chatter, but my mind was too focused on what was actually happening now. I was leaving. I was leaving my family. I was leaving my home. I was leaving my town. I was leaving my country.

Unlike my brothers, I had never let our riches get to my head, but then, I had lived a life of luxury so there was no doubt that I was going to miss it. To be living all alone in a foreign country, and instead of my massive room, I would be living in a tiny hostel room, was not going to be easy. I had to grow used to it. At this point, Umar ibn al Khattab (RadhiAllahu anhu)'s saying rang in my head: 'Get used to a tough life because luxury does not last forever'. How true! Granted, I had chosen to move out of my luxurious life on my own accord, but I had to do this.

As much as I loved my brothers, I didn't want to become like them! I wanted to build a future for myself, and because I didn't let the money get to my head, I didn't have it in me to simply sit back and say "Oh, we're already rich, and the heirs of dad's company so why do I need to study and work for myself?". No, I didn't believe in that. Yes, we were rich. Yes, dad's company is there, but no, I wasn't going to spend my whole life living on the money that my father worked so hard to earn. He paid for each and every one of my expenses since that was his duty. My university fee was extremely expensive and so were the living costs in that country. He was paying for that. So in return, I wanted to come back home with a degree and make my father proud and satisfied that I would be standing on my own feet.

And maybe I could have done my course in this country. But I didn't want to. I wanted an independent life. I wanted to get used to living out of the boundaries of the luxuries my family provided me with. Because being a girl, I didn't know who I would marry and what his financial background would be. So instead of ending up living a tough life without a choice, it's better I get used to a tough life out of my own free will to prepare me for the future. Besides, everyone in my town knew me as a 'Princess'. Yes, it felt good to be respected and honoured, but I didn't want to live my life under that title. I was Aliyah bint Zakir, and not just Aliyah Hamid, the princess. Behind the princess, Aliyah Hamid, was a regular girl with big dreams, and that girl was Aliyah bint Zakir.

As for the course itself, my brothers had laughed at me when I told them what I was planning to do. However, dad had ruffled my hair, telling me I was open-minded and that I would make him proud. I wanted to become an engineer. For some reason, society was so narrow-minded that they would wonder why a girl would do something like engineering. I mean, why not? Several girls did pursue engineering so why not me? And I wanted to do it to prove that an engineer was an engineer. Whether it was a girl or a boy, that didn't make a difference. And I always had a passion for machines.

I was snapped out of my reverie by dad's voice.

"We've reached!"

I looked around to see the familiar parking area of the airport. The last time I was here, my eyes were blurred with tears because of the disaster we had been through. I got out of the car, and dad and I went to get trollies to carry my luggage. Once we had hauled my suitcases on the trollies and wheeled them to the International Departures area, time had come for me to say goodbye to my family.

I looked at mum who was chewing hard on her bottom lip to try to prevent herself from crying. I couldn't resist it, I just went and held her in a bear hug.

"Mum, I'll miss you so much!" I cried, and she patted my back.

"I'll miss you too, dear! Take your meals on time and eat properly. And don't stay up too late studying, make sure you get proper sleep! Pray all your five salaahs daily, lower your gaze. Don't forget you're a Muslim, and make sure you stick to your religion at every moment! Wear warm clothes when it's cold! Take care of your self, okay? I don't want anything to happen to my princess!" Mum rambled. I just smiled through my tears and nodded.