39. You always have my support.

"What?!" Farshad and I exclaimed simultaneously.

I couldn't help it, I was just as shocked and horrified to hear that as Farshad was.

"It's true. I was meaning to tell you this tonight," Muhammad said.

"Muhammad, just tell me everything," Farshad said.

"Well, Inspector Yusuf had tried to call you but he couldn't reach you since you were out of the country, so he called me and told me that you had arrested a man named Ron Baker?" Muhammad said.

"Yeah, I remember getting Ron Baker arrested. It was very easy because he didn't know I was working with the police force, since I'm an undercover agent. But then, how does Inspector Yusuf know of his brother's intention?" Farshad asked.

"Well, Baker threatened him while he was in jail. He told him that his brother is going to take revenge for him," Muhammad replied.

"Whoa! Now I seriously think I should quit this profession until I get this brother behind bars also!" Farshad said.

"No!" Muhammad exclaimed. I mentally agreed with him. "You'll only make it easier for him to track you down, Farsh!"

"But have you thought how I'm going to manage to deal with him? If I lose my undercover license, then I won't have any rights to arrest him!" Farshad said.

"You can't send him to jail yourself, but you can turn him in, right? Yusuf can arrest him for you!" Muhammad said.

"I know, but I want to do it myself, bro!" Farshad insisted.

I wanted to tell Farshad that Muhammad was right. It would be much easier for this dude to track him down if Farshad continued to work with the police force, but I didn't want to argue with him.

"I get you. But what about your PhD? You've worked so hard for it, Farshad!" Muhammad asked.

Farshad was quiet, then spoke up after a while. "The degree's not going anywhere, is it?"

"Look, bro. I've told you before and I'm telling you now. You're a fatherly figure for me. I've already lost dad, please, Farshad, I don't want to lose you too, man!" Muhammad said, gruffly, but I could hear the desperation, love, and concern for his brother in his voice.

Farshad smiled at Muhammad. "Dude, don't worry. In sha Allah, nothing will happen to me. I'll get hold of Ron Baker's brother and send him behind bars, In sha Allah. Then I can quit the job in peace and satisfaction," Farshad replied.

"You seem adamant and there seems to be nothing I can say to change your mind, so all I'm going to tell you right now, Farsh, is please be careful with whatever it is that you do! You just got married too, and sister-in-law also needs you to be safe!" Muhammad said. I smiled at that, despite the gravity of the situation.

Once we reached home, which was our new apartment, Farshad told Muhammad to come over and have dinner with us. When Muhammad refused, I quietly asked him to stay over, and he gave in.

"Whoa, man! You say I'm like a fatherly figure and you can't listen to me? But if Aliyah asks you, you agree?" Farshad teased.

Muhammad didn't reply. I could tell he was extremely shy. Muhammad was just a year younger than me, and two years younger than Farshad, but he really did respect his brother, and I admired that trait. Farshad also loved his brother a lot. I prayed that his bond with his siblings and his mother would always stay strong.

"Farshad, you guys can sit and talk, I'm going to cook dinner," I said.

"Aliyah, please. You're tired right now. We'll order something from out, okay?" Farshad said.