35. Here goes.

Farshad's P.O.V

Farshad looked at his degree for the billionth time. He could hardly believe that he actually had a PhD which he received on scholarship. Farshad thought initially that he'll never make it through. Juggling his job as a secret agent and his studies wasn't easy, but all thanks to Allah, he actually managed it.

But that was only a fraction of the cause of his happiness. Farshad was over the moon mainly because now that he had graduated, he was getting married to the girl he liked more than words could describe.

Farshad couldn't understand how he had been so oblivious to his feelings all along over the past years, but it took Aliyah getting engaged to another guy for him to realise how much he liked her. It took nearly losing her to someone else for him to realise how dumb he had been.

Just thinking about Aliyah put a smile on his face. He remembered the first time he saw her, he had stepped on her foot, and just the thought of that little incident embarrassed him. How was I walking? Farshad thought to himself. Who on earth walks so carelessly that he ends up stepping on someone's foot?!

He remembered the day he saved her. That day, he was genuinely impressed with her, because when he had asked her to accompany him, she was bent on not doing so because of the fact that she was his non-mahrem. Farshad actually would have never asked her to accompany him either had it not have been for her own safety.

Farshad's mind wandered back to six months earlier, during the day of his engagement. He had been given strict warnings to stay in his room and not come down at all because it was a ladies' only function. He did as he was told and stayed in his room, not daring to step outside even though his room was upstairs and the function was downstairs in the living room.

A while later, the commotion and the loud chatter of the ladies had eventually died down, so he assumed all of them had left. Farshad was feeling so thirsty and he honestly was tired of waiting, so he had just decided to go down and get himself some water, since he thought everyone had gone.

As he was descending down the stairs, of all the people, he saw Aliyah with her mother and another girl of about Ruqaiyah's age, who he assumed was Aliyah's sister. He averted his gaze from the two girls to Umniyah, taking care that he doesn't look at them again.

Farshad's sister didn't look too happy to see him. "Farshad! What are you doing here?" She had demanded.

"Sorry, I honestly thought everyone had left since I couldn't hear the commotion from upstairs. I didn't know that..." he trailed off, not knowing how to say that he didn't know that Aliyah and her family hadn't left. He honestly did think that everyone had left.

"Anyway, I'm seeing Mrs. Hamid and the girls out," Umniyah said, and she walked across the hall, with the three of them following her, and opened the door for them. Farshad walked past them, ensuring that he lowered his gaze and went to the kitchen.

A few minutes later, Umniyah joined him in the kitchen, as he was making himself a Nutella sandwich.

"So, bro," Umniyah began, smirking at her brother.

"What?" Farshad asked, raising a questioning eyebrow at her.

"Won't you ask what your future wife felt about the ring you chose for her?" Umniyah asked.

That caught Farshad's attention.

"Don't tell me she didn't like it!" Farshad said, wide-eyed.

The ring he chose for her stood out when he went to the jewellery store. He didn't want something very common, he wanted something rare and unique. Usually, engagement rings always had diamonds, and if not diamonds, then sapphires or emeralds were the next best thing. But when he saw a ring with an amethyst and rubies, he knew this was it. He got exactly what he wanted - something exclusive.