Us or Them

Fanart used was created by NovaLynne.

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto.

Warning: Addressed at the end of chapter two.

Beta:

Am I hurting? Am I sad?

Should I stay or should I go?

I've forgotten how to tell, did I ever even know?

-Bad Apple

"Can you fly?" I wondered.

"No," Tsunade told me.

"Grandmother said there were some who could."

"Yes," Tsunade told me.

"Do you want to fly?"

"No."

"Why not?"

She smiled and pulled me close. "Because everything I need is on the ground, little sapling."

I closed my eyes.

Liar.

. . .

. .

.

The first day our team was finally all together again in winter, it was a happy day.

The roads were consecutively cleared and missions started up once again around the village. The war had reached a shaky quiet upon reaching winter, and outright fights were becoming less frequently. All villages had reached a sort of unspoken peace to regroup, lick wounds, and prepare to fight even harder come spring.

As such, some teams were allowed outside the village for missions once more.

Some teams, like us.

Obito was grinning as bright as can be, and was hopping from one foot to the other. "This is so awesome! My first mission outside the village. I'm going to do amazing."

"Well," Kakashi said slowly, "I suppose idiots have to have high hopes or they would have nothing."

"Oi!" Obito exclaimed, filled with mock indignation. "You don't have nothing but hope, Kakashi. Have more faith in yourself."

I giggled at Kakashi's petulant face. Minato smiled at the three of us. "Alright, you guys. Are you ready to head out? Did you guys pack everything you need?" Obito gestured to his decently filled backpack, while Kakashi and I patted our sealing scrolls strapped to the back of our lower backs. Minato gave a firm nod and said, "Good. We'll meet up with our client Ni~tsu no Hikaru." *

The Sun's Light? The Land of Fire's main capital, where the Daimyo stays.

Ni~tsu no Hikaru was a golden city constructed before even the Senju clan was founded. Its ancient walls had been rebuilt and built over countless times, and you could still find stone housings mixed in with modern ones. It was a wealthy city, for the most part, as long as you lived in the center. The outskirts of the city was essentially one big red light district. Oh sure, during the day it was lit up and beautiful—all smiles and purr-filled greetings because the guards were watching to greet guests; but, when night fell yazuka and other ilk prowled the streets.