chapter three : a-grade-ass

| No Love Attached |
chapter three : a-grade-ass

•••

   Penney's blue eyes glistened with excitement and mischief, as they so often did. Blood rushed to my cheeks, giving my face a pinkish hue. An expression my face never wore. I felt like a frivolous young girl. It was only my best friend who could bring out this immaturity in me.

   "You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that. We're in London, after all." I quipped, even though I knew exactly who she was talking about, unfortunately.

    "For God sakes, Vera. You know, I'm talking about Leo," she looked at me like I was crazy before she continued. "You left quite the impression on him."

   "I did?" I asked, a good amount of shock riding my face.

   "Apparently. He went on and on about you to Damon. Whom may I add, is pretty proud of himself for helping set you guys up." She said.

   Damon Lancaster was Penney's millionaire boyfriend. I had met him through my friend who runs an art gallery. Long story short, I introduced him to Penney. And here they are seven months later.

   I sat myself down on the plush couch next to her. "Penney --"

   "So, tell me everything! And then we can compare sides."

   "Penney, I --" I started but wasn't sure how to finish. Part of me wanted to say I wasn't ready yet. But how long is enough time? When do you finally need to move on?

   "Oh shit. I'm rushing you. God, I'm so sorry. I was just so excited for you, you know?" She gave me a sad smile and grabbed my hand.

"No, trust me, you're not rushing me. Okay, maybe you are a little bit. I thought maybe I was ready for -- I don't know. I just thought maybe it was time to get back out there."

"Hey, it's okay. I get it. You don't deserve what you've had to go through. What you're still going through. So, maybe the whole dating world can be held off a little longer."

Her compassion made me smile. I knew it was taking everything in her to not pour alcohol down my throat and take me to a club to let loose.

"Thank you," I squeezed her hand. "But, that doesn't mean we can't talk you and Damon's horrible match-making skills for a minute."

"Excuse me?" She let go of my hand and wore an outraged expression. "Leo is A-grade-ass."

"More like an A-grade-asshole." My eyes rolled.

"So, tell me everything. I've been dying to hear."

"There's not much to tell," she gave me an expecting look. "I showed up, he spewed out some horrendous pick-up lines, and I went home after about fifteen minutes."

I recalled the date -- no, scratch that, the meeting, exactly how it went down. All of this "he has quite a lot to say" about me stuff must be complete bullshit. What could that prick possibly have to say about me after knowing me for all of fifteen minutes?

"So...you didn't like him?"

A scoff escaped my lips a little too fast, along with a disgusting taste in my mouth. "Like him? Pen, I could barely stand the guy."