chapter twenty three : sharks in the water

| No Love Attached |
chapter twenty three : sharks in the water
•••

     Alec James was a lot of things. Most were vile and disgraceful. But one thing I had to give him credit for was how business savvy he was. He knew how and when to turn on the charm; to hide that appalling side that he's shown to me on more than one occasion.

      If I didn't know him the way I did, I'm sure I would have found him decently attractive. The first time I met him six or seven year ago, I did actually. Everything from his light blue eyes, to his strong jawline, even his salt and pepper hair, made him desirable to women. He wore his age well.

      But all his looks did was make me more uneasy in his presence. His icy eyes always undressing me with their hateful lust, his pointy jaw clenched with anger, and his confident demeanor as if nothing in the world could fucking touch him.

     He spoke to Tanya in a way that could make anyone feel like they were worth a billion bucks. I couldn't help but sit there completely revolted as every hair on my body stood up with anxiety. Tanya was flattered at first but one look to me and she could tell I was uncomfortable. It's a knack we women have, we know when a man is making a woman feel like prey.

    The only proper thought amongst the ones of disgust was, what the fuck was he doing here? At Damon's holiday party, him and Matthew both told me he wouldn't be in London any longer.

    "Well, thank you so much Tanya. I'm so glad I got to meet you," said Alec, after he paid the bill.

     She then thanked the both us, but gave me a look that said "Will you be okay?"

      I gave her a quick nod and hug before she left.

     Without another word, I quickly got up to go outside. There was no way I was causing a commotion in the restaurant. Alec was hot on my tail until we got outside to the parking lot. The sun had gone down a lot quicker than I expected.

    "What the hell was that?" I swung around to face him.

    "What?" He asked innocently.

    "Interrupting my meeting like that! Why are you even here, Alec?" I was now fuming.

    He let out a low chuckle that resembled more of a growl, "Vera, I think you forget I'm your boss. You may be running things, but I own this company and am allowed to interrupt any meeting I want. But don't worry, I'm not here to rain on your little self righteous parade. I'm in town on personal business and thought it'd be nice to meet one of our potential bestsellers." Each word that crawled off his tongue was a threat, whether it was obvious or not.

      "You need to stay away from me," I warned as I started walking away from him.

      My body was suddenly slammed up against a nearby car with my arms pinned beside me. I struggled to move, but Alec was stronger. He had caught me off guard.

      "Now, where do you get off thinking you can talk to me like that, huh?" His face was inches from mine, threatening to get closer each time I tried to move. The thick veins in his neck were now popping, as well as an ugly one on his temple.

      "Get. Off. Me." I spat through my teeth, "What the fuck is your obsession with me?"

       His lips brushed against my face with each word he spoke. "What? Am I being too rough, baby? You look like you need someone to give it to you good." He growled into my ear as his entire body pushed up against mine. His lips were about to attack mine. I began panicking until I saw a security guard in the far distance. It was too far for him to see me but if I screamed, he would surely hear.