prologue : blind dates

| No Love Attached |
| prologue : blind dates |
•••

        You know, blind dates can be pretty terrifying for a woman. You're always stuck with the thought that this man could be a rapist, a murderer, a politician, a thief, or worst of all, an asshole.

         I never pictured myself to be the type of person to lower themselves to such a thing as a blind date, but hey, I'm a "hot, single, semi-desperate New Yorker" at the moment. That's how my best friend Penney put it for me, at least. It's easy for her to say when she's dating a millionaire. "You need to get out there," she said. "You're a workaholic," she mentioned a couple of times. "You need to get laid," she screamed. Maybe she's right. Maybe she's crazy. Maybe she's both. And that is why I am currently sitting at an over-crowded bar in the tightest black dress I own, waiting for my potential murderer.

         I'm not even going to stay for the date. I'm going to tell him how nice it was to meet him, how crazy Penney and her rich boyfriend, Damon are for setting us up, then wish him a goodnight. I have to be at the airport early to catch a flight, anyway. There's no use of wasting the limited time I have for precious sleep on one of Damon's friends who I have no interest in knowing.

         "Scotch on the rocks, please." I called to young bartender who had his eyes glued firmly on my chest as I spoke.

         "Scotch, whoa, I'm impressed. Plus, a great ass." A male's voice practically growled from behind me. I turned around to see whatever asshole thought that was a good pick-up line.

      My eyes came face-to-chest? I gazed up to finally meet the man's face as he towered over me. Piercing blue green eyes, some stubble along a jawline that could literally cut diamonds in half, coffee colored hair, and what seemed to be a muscular body all wrapped up in black clothing.

          "Wow, who knew they let zoo animals in here?" I quickly remarked. I couldn't tell if I was disgusted or kind of flattered by his animalistic compliment.

            He tried to think of a comeback as I casually sipped and enjoyed my scotch. "I'm sorry, next time I compliment a woman, I'll ask to see if she's PMSing first."

             I couldn't help but spit my drink a little. "Really? You've resorted to period jokes? Is that the best you've got? I feel sorry for you."

              He cracked somewhat of a smile. "Don't feel sorry for me, love. Feel sorry for my blind date."

          His slight British accent was masked by a husky, deep voice. Despite his beautifully rugged appearance, he was dressed impeccably. A black blazer perfectly tailored to his body, with a smooth black button up under it, with the first few buttons undone.

Blind date.

Oh god, no.

     I took in his appearance one more time, ignoring his attractiveness and rude demeanor. Everything about him looked like he could easily be one of Damon's friends. I took it upon myself to put together that I was in fact, his blind date. "I refuse to participate in self pity."

                His light eyes widened a bit at my words, but he quickly recovered with a smirk. "Oh, wow, so you're Penney's friend."

                "Vera."

                "I'm Leo, nice to meet you. I've heard a lot about you. Nothing about your great ass though, so I think that's where the whole mix up started. I apologize."

             "Oh, is that where it started? Hm, what kind of things?" I found myself laughing a bit.

         "Great things."