chapter eighteen : it's a rich man's world

| No Love Attached |
chapter eighteen : it's a rich man's world

•••

Breakups fucking suck. Anyone who tells you otherwise is probably lying. But something about listening to my best friend rant about her recent relationship failure made me want to put cigarettes out in my eyes. I almost thought it'd be more bearable if I was the one who just got dumped.

Remember when I said most people who know about what happened to Josh, they feel guilty coming to me with their emotions because they feel their sadness couldn't never amount to mine? Yeah, Penney Abrams was not one of those people.

Old Vera would have encouraged Penney to either move on or get him back already in a hasty manner. The only thing stopping current Vera from doing that was all those hours, days, and years I sobbed about Josh to her. It was a debt she was now cashing in, with interest.

Being that all my friends let me vent to them, you'd think I'd be happy to return the favor. Call me an asshole, call me ungrateful, I don't care. No one likes hearing other people's problems. I wouldn't blame my friends if they wanted to off themselves while I vented.

I was being easy on her not only at work, but outside of it as well. When she'd make a snippy comment, I did my best to refrain my using my choice of language. I also brushed off her behavior at both the Christmas and New Year parties. What can I say? I'm a fucking saint.

It was now Friday. Not much has changed. Leo had sent me couple of texts throughout the week trying to confirm dinner plans. I didn't reply. Having a snot filled, teary Penney on my couch for the last six days made me want to rip my hair out and of course, Leo seemed to be the cause. When I thought of answering, Penney laid the "He broke up my relationship. Are you really going to see him?", on me.

My train of thought was interrupted by a knock at my office door, followed by my assistant Jenna peering in. "Vera, Mr. Fitzgerald is here for your meeting. Can I send him in?" She asked.

Fuck. Fuck. The meeting with Aaron completely slipped my mind. "Yes, send him in!"

I quickly threw away the empty bag of chips on my desk and put on my glasses in an attempt to look put together and professional. If I had remembered the meeting was today, I probably would have tried to look a bit better. I reluctantly pulled my hair out of my ponytail, letting my waves cascade on my shoulders.

Aaron Fitzgerald stuck his head into my office before the rest of his body followed. His body that was clothed in a navy Prada suit, that made his blue eyes look electric.

I was greeted with a hug and a peck to the cheek, as most important men tended to do. During the quick hug, I inhaled his scent. Not in a weird way, of course. It was accidental. But he did smell like mint and fresh linen, which was nice. 

"Vera! What a great office." He said, looking around the large space with its view of the city.

"Thank you! Here, sit," I gestured to the armchair across my desk. "How were your holidays?"

Aaron sat with an ease only a man of his significance could. It was a similar demeanor to Damon's or Leo's. One I could easily replicate when needed.

"Only a few fights broke out this year so I guess that's good, right? You?" He said. I smiled as it reminded me of my own dysfunctional family.

"It was nice to be back in New York. But my mother was on my cause so I got stoned for the first time since college --"