chapter twenty eight : bradshaw meets buckingham

| No Love Attached |
chapter twenty eight : bradshaw meets buckingham
•••

  A stupid smirk spread across my stupid face when I checked my text messages. I would have slapped it off if I could. Since when did I smirk? It was the first time I've heard from Leo since our little goodbye and with one text from him, he had me feeling like a young girl with a --dare I say it-- crush.

     His message said, "Hey, still remember me?"

     So, I of course sent back, an educated and witty response, "New phone, who dis?"

    The thought of Leo no longer in London made me a little sad. It was nice having a drinking buddy. But I suppose that was what Anthony was here for.

    Whether it be because the of the smoke in my lungs or the tricks between my legs, I felt invigorated. Like a pep in your step, or a shot of vodka in your morning coffee.

    "God, this weather's as cold as Penney's heart. I don't know how Prince Harry deals," Anthony Bradshaw muttered as he wrapped his Burberry, plaid scarf tighter around his neck.

      In response, my eyes rolled as they often did whenever anyone said anything about pretty much, well, anything.

      "I meant to say almost. It's almost as cold as her heart." He added.

       Having him in London was strange. Like seeing a fish out of water. Or watching Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda go to Dubai in Sex & the City 2. Some people just aren't meant to leave the twenty-three square miles of Manhattan.

        Although, we were doing the same thing we would have been doing in New York. Walking down the street, dodging other pedestrians, and talking, coffee in hand. Unfortunately no alcohol spiked in this cup, though.

      "She tried to apologize. I was able to brush it off because we were at work, but I don't know how much longer I can push it." I took a sip of the latte my hands were clenched around for warmth. The smooth caffeine coated my throat beautifully, just as the cigarette smoke did earlier. 

      "You push it forever, that's how long. Cut her off. She's cancelled," he exclaimed, waving his hand, as if he was throwing something over his shoulder.

      The thought of not being friends with Penney had never crossed my mind. Not even once. Ever since losing Josh, people suddenly held a much larger significance to me. I didn't take people leaving my life lightly, like I once did.

       "Ant, she's been my best friend since college. I can't just throw her away."

        "And why not? May I remind you of her offenses? Firstly, she cheated on our wonderful friend, Damon. Not just with anyone, but with Alec James even though she knew what he was doing to you. Then, she proceeds to say horrible things to you because she's jealous and irrational. On top of all that, she tried to kiss Leo. Who we all know is your man --," he paused to take a look at his phone that just binged with a notification. "And she knows I'm in London. She saw my Snapchat location. Great."

       "Since when do you have SnapChat?" I changed the subject. Part of me wanted to defend her, as I always did. It had become a habit -- a job, even.