chapter five : a woman walks into a bar

| No Love Attached |
chapter five : a woman walks into a bar

•••

  I guess you could say I'm a homebody. Actually, a lot of people would say that about me. Yeah, I'd rather curl up watching a movie on my couch, getting wine-wasted than go to a HIV infested club. So what? Sue me.

   How do Penney and I get along so well then, you ask? Ah, yes, my incredible best friend who not only thrives in those HIV infested clubs, but was actually caught licking the floor of one once.

   God works in mysterious ways? Drunken blood pact? Equal love for the Bachelor?

All of the above, I suppose.

   So that is why I am currently attempting to apply false eyelashes, in six-inch heels.

   "Penney, you almost done?" I called into the bedroom, where she had been torn between a black dress and a red leather skirt for the last twenty minutes.

   "Relax, the club doesn't open until midnight," she replied.

    "Midnight? That's the time I'm planning on going to bed." I continued to glue on the eyelashes until they didn't look like they were about to fly away.

    I looked back at myself in her bathroom mirror: eyelashes in tact, extra liner around my honey colored eyes, tousled "sex" hair (Penney's term; not mine). Instead of a dress I could barely breathe in, I opted for tight black trouser pants with a spaghetti-strapped bodysuit. Not much air supply there either, I guess.

   "Okay, well if we're not even going to leave until midnight, I need to get drunk." I found Penney in the bedroom, the exact way I left her. In her purple lace bra and underwear surrounded by a pile of clothes on the floor. Her overall room was smaller than mine, but we chose to get dressed here based on her getting ready habits. (AKA, changing her outfit every twelve seconds.)

   "The mini bar is empty. I kind of went to town on it." She held up a short white dress before quickly tossing it behind her.

   A groan escaped my lips. Remind me why I said yes to this? Binging Gilmore Girls honestly sounded like a better idea.

   "Just go down to the bar and pregame. I'll be down in fifteen minutes, I swear."

   "Pregame? What are we, eighteen going to prom?" I scoffed.

   "Fifteen minutes." She looked up at me with pleading eyes. 

     I rolled my eyes, knowing those mere fifteen minutes would turn into thirty. "Fine. But if you're one minute longer, I'm going back to my room to sleep."

     She let out some kind of noise, but I was too far out of the room to care. The thick gold carpeting of the hotel halls was soft under my sharp heels. Even though I was dressed more modest than most, I couldn't help but feel overly exposed to the elderly couple ogling at my outfit choice as they passed me by.

   The elevator down to the lobby was my sole moment of tranquility for the night, so I savored every second of it.

My heels clicked against the marble floors as I made my way over to the bar. The area was filled with some couples on awkward first dates, businessmen letting loose after work, and a handful of single women probably waiting for a friend. The category I apparently fell under at the moment.