When He Holds You

He suddenly awoke with a start, drenched in sweat and tears in his eyes. With a shaky hand, he wiped away the sweat from his forehead.

He sat up and brought his knees to his chest, as he rocked himself gently- a soothing motion.

Glancing to his side, he saw that you were still lying peacefully beside him. He sighed, relieved. It had all been a dream. No, a nightmare.

"Credence?" he heard you whisper, as you stirred beside him. You rubbed your eyes and looked up at him. Frowning at his watery eyes and wuivering state, you struggled to sit up. "Credence?" you asked again.

He suddenly engulfed you in his arms, holding you so close, so tenderly. As if you were the fragile one. He was so happy that it had all been in his head.

You weren't used to him being in such a close proxcimity, for he was usually (and understandably) not one for enjoying another person's touch.

"What happened?" you asked worriedly, as he began to sob, holding you almost painfully tight.

He placed a kiss firmly upon your temple, lips lingered as his paused momentarily.

"I'm sorry I woke you up." he mumbled as he buried his face in your hair. "It was just a nightmare. I'm okay. You're okay. It's all going to be okay." he attempted to reassure himself. Muttering 'it's okay' as if it were a mantra.

You sighed with relief, resting ypur head on his shoulder. "You're okay." she whispered sympathetically. "You're safe now, I promise."

He eventually pulled away from you and wiped his tears with his long, pale blue sleeve. "Thank you." he smiled sadly at you, the corners of his mouth lifted for only a moment.

You nodded but you facial expression was still molded into a mask of concern. "I didn't do anything." you mumbled, as you tentatively reached up to brush a rogue tear away from his cheek.

Much to your surprise, with eyes fluttered closed, he leant into your touch. Obviously enjoying the comfort of having you so near to him.

When he finally reopened his eyes, you gently pulled him back down onto the mattress.

You wrapped your arms around his delicate figure. Credence's eyelids were already drooping from exhaustion.

As you brought a hand to his cheek and carefully caressed his jawline, you whispered: "Goodnight, sweetheart."