When He Wishes You Goodnight

A/N: Still enjoying the book? :/

****

You lay in bed that night with a high fever, one the doctors weren't sure you were going to survive. You had always been a sickly child. If someone had a cold, you could be sure that you would catch it. The doctors said it was due to your low immune system.

  That night, you needed a miracle to help you survive until morning.   

As you lay in bed that night, delirious from the pain and the warmth, you turned your head to look out of the window at the moon. Ever since you were a child, you would always talk to the moon, asking it for advice and guidance. 

"I need your help, Moon." you whispered, the words tumbled from your lips as desperate breathes. "Make me better."

Your eyelids felt heavy. Your breathing laboured. You heart weakly hammered against your rib cage. 

Had you been more aware of your surroundings, you would have noticed the man you loved sitting beside your bed in an uncomfortable chair, holding your hand and attempting to hold back the tears that threatened to fall.

He watched you intently in attempt to memorise every beautiful feature of your face. From your once-sparkling-but-now-dulled-through-pain eyes, to your softly curved cupids bow. Poor Credence knew that it was only a matter of time before you slipped away from the world. Left him forever.

 Hearing you plead to the moon, he wished- oh, how he wished- that there was something he could do to make you better. A life without you felt like a life not worth living. But he knew that the doctors were right, you were too weak to make it through the night. Your body was failing you and soon, he would be all alone. 

Bringing your hand to his mouth, he gently kissed your knuckles. He paused for a moment, lips still upon your skin. 

You frowned when you felt something warm trickle across the back of your hand. You turned your head away from the moon and sleepily realised that Credence was crying against your skin. 

He noticed your staring and held your failing gaze- obviously drifting in and out of reality. 

Despite your exhaustion, you managed a smile. "Don't be sad, Sweetheart. It's going to be alright." you murmured, eyes now closed as you felt undeniably comfortable in your bed, ready to fall asleep. "The moon will make it better."

In spite of his grief, Credence mustered a soft chuckle and once more kissed your knuckle. "I know, (Y/N). I'm sorry. I'll try to remember." he vowed. 

"You don't need to cry." you commented, words now barely audible. 

He did. He truly did. In fact, he wanted to scream with anger. He wanted to yell and curse until his throat became raw and sound no longer left his lips. No yet though. Now was not the time to express his pain. He needed to focus on you. Who knew how much longer you had left. These precious moments were to be cherished, for in moments to come, he would no longer be able to make memories with you. 

"I'm not." he cleared his throat and hastily wiped his tears. 

"Moons making it better." you slurred. 

"I know." Credence leaned in closer to place a kiss on your temple. This would be the last opportunity for him to do so. 

Sighing, you settled further into your pillows. "If I sleep, the moon will make me better."

In that moment, Credence wanted to disagree with you, force you to stay awake but why prolong your suffering, when the end result would still remain the same? "Sleep then, (Y/N). If you need to sleep then do. I promise I'll be here when you wake up."

"Pinkie promise?"

"Pinkie promise."

You could feel herself slipping further and further in your fever, it was consuming you completely. "Goodnight, Credence."

Credence knew within minutes, you would be met with darkness and peace. He wasn't ready to give you up, not yet but you were so tired. So, so tired.

"Goodnight, (Y/N)."

 Suddenly your hold on reality slipped from your weak grasp and you were engulfed by a blissful unaware.