When He Has A Nightmare

Some nights, when the nightmares paid him a visit, he would wake up. Unresponsive to your kind, soothing words.

Tonight was one of those nights.

He was sat up straight in your shared bed, with his arms wrapped around his legs.

His eyes wide with fear and lips continuously muttering the same words over and over again. A mantra, his own personal mantra. "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

Credence continued to rock backwards and forwards.

Sitting heavily on the bed, you watched the male, feeling a wave of guilt wash over you. "Credence?" you whispered, moving closer to his now trembling figure.

Gently you pushed the hair away from hiis sweat drenched brow.

"I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

He wanted to cry, truly he did but he was all out of tears. The dark-haired male felt emotionally drained and unable to express any more sorrow. Hr just needed to say his safe words. "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

"You're safe, Credence." you whispered, as you fingers weaved through his short, raven locks. "I promise you that you're safe. You're not with her any more. You're here, with me in my apartment, honey."

"I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

"Credence, can you understand what I'm saying?"

Was he even listening to what you were saying, or was he stuck in a trance?

"I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

You bit your lip, expression a mixture of anguish and unsurity. "Sweetheart?" you pulled one of his hands away from where it rested on his leg and held it in both your hands. "Credence..." you brought his knuckles to you soft lips. "Come back to me, honey. You don't need to relive what she did to you. That cruel woman is gone. She's never going to hurt you again, I promise. Please, darling, don't let her win." you mumbled against his skin, which was unusually hot to the touch.

"I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

You eventually let go of hus hand and instead, wrapped your arms around Credence's slight frame, holding him close. "Please come back to me. Please...I can't bare to see you so distraught, darling." you voice broke mid-sentence.

He didn't acknowledge you or your words. The male just continued rocking backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards whispering: "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."