Space Stations

Basic Overview

A space station, also known as an orbital station or an orbital space station, is a spacecraft capable of supporting a crew, which is designed to remain in space (most commonly in low Earth orbit) for an extended period of time and for other spacecraft to dock.

A space station is distinguished from other spacecraft used for human spaceflight by lack of major propulsion or landing systems. Instead, other vehicles transport people and cargo to and from the station.

Architecture (space station subsystems)

1. Structure

2. Electrical power

3. Thermal control

4. Attitude determination and control

5. Orbital navigation and propulsion

6. Automation and robotics

7. Computing and communications

8. Environmental and life support

9. Crew facilities

10. Crew and cargo transportation

—-

—Atmosphere Revitalization Subsystem removes carbon dioxide and most trace contaminants while monitoring oxygen and nitrogen levels.

—Atmosphere Control and Supply provides oxygen and nitrogen, gases used in experiments and for other purposes, and atmospheric pressure.

—Temperature and Humidity Control circulates air, removes humidity and maintains the ISS atmosphere within a constant temperature range.

—Water Recovery and Management Subsystem will recover and recycle water from the sink, shower, urine, the Space Shuttle's fuel cells, and condensation. A Potable Water Processor refines waste water into drinkable water. Water quality is monitored by a Process Control and Water Quality Monitor.

—Fire Detection and Suppression Subsystem consists of smoke detectors, alarms and shutoff systems, portable fire extinguishers, gas masks and oxygen bottles. Two area smoke detectors are provided in each pressurized module, and one is installed in each rack requiring an Avionics Air Assembly (circulation and ventilation equipment).

___

Sleep Bays

Galley/Meeting Room

Kitchen/Storage

Latrine/Shower

Recreation

Observation Deck

Pilot/Navigation

Command Room

Communications

Research Labs

Medical [Storage/Clinic/Secure Holding]

Environment Suit Storage

Life Support [Oxygen Recycler/Temp Control/Water Recycler etc]

Mechanical Room

Dock/Airlock

Engine Room

Flight Deck

Orbiter: Part of the shuttle that carries astronauts and cargo; its sleek, winged profile is visible during landings.
External tank: Huge fuel tank that supplies oxygen and hydrogen to main engines during launch.
Solid rocket boosters: Two rockets flanking the orbiter that burn solid fuel during first minutes of ascent and then drop off, parachuting into the ocean.
Main propulsion engines: There are three, all located at bottom of orbiter.
Flight deck: Located just behind orbiter's nose.
Cargo bay: Located at center of orbiter's fuselage.
Payload doors: Two curved doors atop the fuselage.
Heat-resistant tiles: Tiles that line the orbiter's belly to protect it during the intense heat of returning to the atmosphere.
Insulating foam: Heat-resistant foam that covers outside of external fuel tank.
Body flap: Control panel hinged to back of fuselage to help control during descent.
Delta wings: Two triangular wings allow orbiter to glide to earth without the help of engines.
Elevons: Panels that help give control to wings.
Vertical stabilizer: Orbiter's tail fin.
Main landing gear: One set below each wing, each with two tires.
Nose landing gear: Third set of landing gear beneath the orbiter's nose.
Forward control thrusters: Small rocket engines studded around orbitor's nose that help maneuver in space
Heat sensors: Devices arrayed all around the craft to measure temperature.
Orbital maneuvering system: Two engines mounted in pods outside the back of the fuselage, for power when entering or leaving orbit.
Reaction control system: Set of engines on each side of back fuselage, used to control motion while maneuvering out of orbit and returning into the atmosphere.
Split rudder-speed brake: Panel on the vertical stabilizer that splays apart to increase drag and slow the craft during landing. Moved together, this part acts like a rudder to control motion.

(Found on http://anomalously-written.tumblr.com/)