Glossary of Terms Commonly Found in Detective Fiction

accusation—statement that places blame on a specific person or persons.

alias—an alternate name used to conceal identity.

alibi—an explanation that removes a person from the scene of a crime when it occurred.

angle—specific strategy or way of looking at facts as employed by the detective during an investigation.

autopsy—the medical examination of a corpse to determine cause(s) of death.

booking—the process whereby a suspect is officially arrested and charged with a crime.

case—the investigation of a crime from the time it is reported/ discovered until it is resolved (closed).

charges—specific crime(s) a person is accused of.

circumstantial—indicative but not conclusive.

clue—anything that sheds light on a particular case.

collar—the actual arrest by a police officer.

corpus dilecti— (Latin for 'body of the crime") the actual body that proves a murder has been committed.

crime of passion—a crime committed in a rage of anger, hatred, revenge, etc.

culprit—the "bad guy;" criminal.

D.A.—district attorney; works for the government.

deduction—conclusion reached through a logical progression of steps. defense—the argument made to show the innocence of the accused person.

evidence—material that will prove innocence or guilt.

eyewitness—someone who actually observes a crime and/or criminal. felony—major crime (i.e., armed robbery, murder, rape).

foil—the detective's "right hand man;" he/she is usually quite different in nature. Ex: Holmes/Watson; Nero Wolfe/ Archie Goodwin.

frame-up—deliberate trap set to lay blame on an innocent person.

habeas corpus—accuser has to produce a body in order to hold a suspect.

homicide—the act of murder.

hunch—guess; instinct.

informer—someone who relays information to police/detective for money (usually).

inquest/inquiry—legal questioning concerning a particular event or action.

lead—something or someone that may help move an investigation toward a solution.

malice aforethought—criminal was already considering a hostile act before the crime occurred.

manslaughter—accidental killing.

misdemeanor—minor offense

modus operandi—method of operation (m.o.) that a criminal employs during his crimes.

morgue—city government building where dead bodies are kept during investigations.

motive—reason for committing a crime.

perpetrator—offender; criminal.

post mortem—the report from an autopsy.

premeditation—deliberate intent to perform a crime before it occurs. private eye—private detective.

prosecutor—attorney working for the District Attorney; person trying to prove guilt in a courtroom.

red herring—a false clue that usually misleads the reader (and often the detective).

set-up—a trap that is designed to catch a criminal or victim.

sleuth—detective.

statement—official document containing information supplied by witness, suspect, or any other person involved in an investigation.

stool pigeon—informer.

surveillance—constant visual or electronic monitoring of a person's activities.

suspect—someone who may have reason to have committed a specific crime.

tank—jail cell.

third degree—intensive questioning of a suspect.

victim—person who is hurt or killed as a result of a criminal act.

(Found on Google via Microsoft Docx.

         Fort Hamilton High School

Mrs. Jo Ann Chester, Principal)