6. The Beast had left his mark on her

Trigger warning: This chapter deals with a subject that may be difficult to read.

Despite all of Kelsey's arguments, Natasha and Max started dating and everything was going well. Enough to make even Kelsey think she might have been wrong about Max. Until two months later when everything changed.

November 2013

"You're being unreasonable Max," Natasha said as calmly as she could.

"I'm being unreasonable!" Max yelled slapping his palms against the wall Natasha was leaning against. She shivered and drew the large jacket she was wearing tighter around her body. "James had his hands all over my girlfriend and when I voice out my dislike of that I'm called unreasonable."

"He did not have his hands all over me! My butterfingers decided my dress needed my lunch more than I did and Jamie  offered me his jacket to cover up the huge spaghetti stain," Natasha yelled back, now equally livid.

"Take that jacket off," Max said angrily.

"No," Natasha refused stubbornly.

"Natasha!" ' Max said threateningly.

"Maxwell."

"I said take it off!" Max grabbed the collar of the jacket and pulled at it roughly.

"Are you seriously freaking out about something as stupid as a borrowed coat? Stop acting like a child and..." Natasha was saying when Max slapped her hard across her left cheek.

Natasha stared at him, shocked as she rubbed her cheek which was turning red from the force of the slap.

"What the hell, Max?" she asked him angrily. He at least had the decency to look ashamed of himself.

"I'm so sorry Natasha. I don't know what came over me. I'm sorry," Max said horrified at what he had done. He released his hold on the collar of the jacket she was wearing and took a step back away from her. Natasha walked away from him still nursing her stinging cheek. 

Natasha had to literally drag Kelsey away  before she hurled stones at Max after witnessing the slap.

Max apologized for a whole week until Natasha forgave him and agreed to give their relationship another chance even though Kelsey kicked up a fuss about the whole issue. Natasha brushed the slap off as a one-time event despite Kelsey's warnings that if it could happen once, it could happen again as with all forms of abuse. A month later, Max proved Kelsey right.

December 2013

Lily was away in the capital for a major case and so Natasha was home alone for a whole week. Kelsey couldn't keep her company either because she was away visiting a sick aunt in the neighboring town. So all she had was Max who dropped in occasionally and the telly. 

One night while Natasha was watching a movie downstairs she heard a loud banging at the door. She sat quietly listening to the incessant banging debating calling 911. Just when she was dialing 911, the person who was banging on the door started yelling and she immediately recognized the voice. It was Max.

"Are you crazy?" she asked him when she finally opened the door.

"Hi beaurriful," Max said drunkenly, barely able to stand straight.

"You're drunk," Natasha said exasperated.

"As a skunk," Max snorted pushing his way past her and into the house, crashing into some pieces of furniture en route to the lounge. He collapsed onto the nearest couch and lay back on it. Natasha closed the door then went and joined him in the lounge.