30. And with it, the last of its legacy

Song: In my veins- Andrew Belle

It was hard picking out a song for this chapter but these lyrics sold me on this one.

Nothing goes as planned

Everything will break

People say goodbye

In their own special

All that you rely on

And all that you could fake

Will leave you in the morning... 

"And you were just in the right place at the right time?" Michael asked, eyes narrowed at Natasha in suspicion. Nathan had gone to get her from his mother's house, so they could question her about the information she'd given him. Much to her dismay, they were in the interrogation room again.

"If you think about it, it's plausible," Nathan said before Natasha could reply. "We went there because we wanted somewhere discreet so Natasha wouldn't have any more run ins with people she knows, due to her reputation. It's not a stretch to consider that Margaret and the Chief went there for the same reason."

Michael glared at Nathan but moved on to his next question. "How can you be sure of what you heard? You said yourself that you were drunk and throwing up at the time. I find it hard to believe that you could even remember your name, let alone a whole conversation."

"I have a very good memory," Natasha replied. Michael raised an eyebrow at her. "Even when I'm shitfaced," she added.

Nathan stifled a laugh as Michael's eyes narrowed to slits and Natasha stared at him, looking absolutely unfazed.

"You want proof?" she asked, thinking. "There are two photo frames on your desk. One plain brown with a picture of a young couple. The man is wearing a police officer's uniform and he has his hand over the dark haired woman's shoulder. She's wearing a long brown dress with black polka dots. Both of them are looking at the little boy in the woman's arms. The second frame, a silver edged one, has a picture of you graduating from the police academy."

"You've been at my desk? She's been at my desk?" Michael asked, frowning as he turned to Nathan.

"She's been in the office a couple of times," Nathan shrugged.

"Your memory of what's on my desk while impressive and slightly creepy, doesn't prove anything to me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hear you out for the sake of progress," Michael said.

Natasha shared everything she could remember of the conversation and Michael and Nathan agreed that a lot of it did fit in with the events of the past 24 hours. If the Chief indeed was Max's biological father, it would explain the motive behind his actions.

"Max was your boyfriend once, right?" Michael asked when she'd finished.

"Where are you going with this?" Nathan asked, noticing Natasha stiffen and worrying that Michael's line of questioning would trigger her memories of his abuse.

"Well Max really wanted to talk to Natasha. Maybe he'll try to contact her again now that he's out," Michael explained.

Natasha looked confused. "How did you know that Max wanted to talk to me?"

"Better question is, how did you know that Max wanted to talk to you? I never told you about his request," Nathan said.

"Huh?" Natasha asked again.