31. All because of...

This chapter is dedicated to @RElizabethM for her lovely comments.. Do check out her works, they are really good. Some of my favorites are Movie Star Memories, Saving Us and Retribution.

Also, if you're a writer and would like some love for you book, there's a great club where you can do read for reads and get some positive comments on your story. Check out the account @comment_squad for more details on the Positivity Matters Book Club.

"I'm tired of being dragged down to the police station every time someone drops dead," Natasha said wearily, wiping away black marks from her tear stained face, as Michael led her to one of the interrogation rooms.

Nathan was walking beside her and he didn't know what to say to make her feel better so he held her hand and squeezed it comfortingly. Michael glanced back at them and turned back, frowning as they entered the room.

"Nathan, could you go check on the witness. You have a way of getting people to open up to you. I'll fill Natasha in, then join you," Michael said, sitting across Natasha. Both Nathan and Natasha gave him a questioning look but nevertheless, Nathan did as he asked, glancing briefly back at them on his way out.

"Is this the part where you start accusing me of stuff as usual?" Natasha asked once the door shut.

Michael shook his head and stared past her at the wall, gathering his thoughts. "When Nathan was transferred here, he was quiet, emotionally closed off and his only focus was getting the job done. He barely slept or talked to anyone here. I was considered the station's jerk-"

"Still are," Natasha mumbled and Michael glared at her but continued.

"I didn't like talking to people and Nathan seemed incapable of it, so Chief Langdon decided we would be perfect partners and despite our protests, he paired us up. We became friends eventually and made detective together. We had the highest closed cases in the state and because of that and his general ability to connect with people now, Nathan is first choice for interim Chief of Police now that Chief Langdon has gone AWOL," he said.

"Wow," Natasha said, surprised.

"But now that someone else died, in your house at that and you've already been connected to the other two murders; not only will he not be elected interim Chief Officer, he might lose his job too, because of his connection to you."

"What? But I had nothing to do with those murders and especially not this one. I was with Nathan the whole time!" she exclaimed.

"Exactly," Michael said gravely. "He's your alibi and if this goes to court, which it eventually will by the looks of things, he's going to testify to that and you know what they'll ask him?"

Her face fell as she considered Michael's words, realising he was right.

"Why was he with you? What were you doing in his apartment? How many times have you stayed with him in his apartment? Are you in a relationship? Is your relationship with him the reason you were released from police custody after being arrested for two different murders?" Michael counted off the questions on his fingers.

"And whether I hired a killer to murder someone while I was with Nathan so I could have a solid alibi and be cleared of all suspicion," Natasha added quietly, burying her head in her hands. "Oh God."

"This job is the one thing that has kept him sane and human after what happened to his family. If you care about him, you'll make sure he doesn't lose it," Michael said, tapping his fingers on the desk between them. "You have to stop ruining him."

"I can't lie and say I wasn't with him. That would get everyone in a lot of trouble," Natasha said, trying to ignore the sharp pain she felt in her chest from Michael's words.