29. The kingdom fell

"Is the food almost ready? I'm in a hurry," Nathan asked, getting impatient. There were only two other people eating in the restaurant so he didn't understand why his order was taking so long.

"Two more minutes. They're just packing it up," the young man behind the counter said apologetically.

Nathan's phone rang before he could respond and the boy breathed a sigh of relief as Nathan turned away from him.

"Michael," Nathan said when he answered the call.

"Hey, did you find the girls?" Michael asked.

"Yeah I did."

"Good. Listen, I followed the Chief when he left the station in the evening and he went to the Bandieer mansion but then he didn't even get past the door and he drove off again. I tried to follow him but he must have spotted me because I lost him so now I have no idea where he was headed," Michael told him.

"So, what now?" Nathan asked. The boy behind the counter packed his order into a carrier bag and handed it to him and he gave a nod of thanks before turning to exit the restaurant.

"I'm headed home. We're going to have to think of a Plan B," Michael said. "I got the program for the funeral by the way. It starts at 9 a.m."

"Okay. I'll meet you there," Nathan replied then he ended the call and put the phone in his jacket pocket. As he went around the front of the car, he noticed that Natasha was no longer sitting in front. Not wanting to jump to conclusions and panic he opened the back door, hoping she switched to the backseat to lie down or something but again that seat was empty. He set the food on the backseat and shut the door, looking around the dimly lit parking lot and calling out Natasha's name, trying to figure out what direction she could have taken, if indeed she had left the car of her own volition.

A sound coming from somewhere behind the car caught his ears and he called out her name again, heading towards it while readying his gun. He found Natasha on her knees, clutching her stomach and breathing deep, heavy breaths. Putting away his gun, he quickly crouched down next to her and gagged as the smell of vomit wafted up to him.

Natasha seemed barely conscious but when he spoke to her she managed to mumble a response. He lifted her and carried her back to the car, placing her gently on the backseat and moving the food to the passenger seat. He drove off, calling on her occasionally to make sure she was still conscious. Almost half an hour later, he parked outside a house and carried a sleeping Natasha to the door. The lights were still on in the house and after ringing the doorbell a couple of times, the door opened.

"Hi Mum. I need your help."

His mother looked from him to Natasha curled up against his chest before stepping aside to let Nathan through.

"Is she okay?" Catherine asked, as Nathan made his way to the room that used to be his.

"She's really drunk and she was throwing up," Nathan replied setting her down on the bed. "I was hoping you could keep an eye on her and take care of her since you have experience with this..." he trailed off.

Catherine nodded and squeezed his arm as he rushed past her, out of the room. He went to his car and brought in the food that he'd bought and ate a bit of it seated in the kitchen. After cleaning up the mess he'd made, he went to the living room and put all his attention on the t.v screen, trying his best to avoid looking at the pictures framed around the room. Catherine found him staring absentmindedly at the screen and sat next to him on the couch.

"Did Violet find out what Jackiee did?" she asked once she was settled.

Nathan stared at her, confused and she nodded towards the t.v.