25. And mind awoken...

Dedicated to @DarrenDean1 for his support. Check out the first book in his series Fall in May.

Natasha sat up abruptly, gasping for air and sticky with sweat as her eyes searched wildly around. Kelsey's concerned looking face swam into view along with the subtle hues of sunset coming in through the bedroom window.

"You okay?" Kelsey asked her.

Natasha nodded, still trying to catch her breath. "Bad dream."

"Mac?"

"How did you know?" Natasha asked surprised.

"You were talking in your sleep," Kelsey replied.

Natasha blinked, startled by the revelation. "What did I say?"

Kelsey bit her lip. "Not a lot," she said with a cautious tone. "Most of it wasn't clear but you called your mum and Mac and Nathan's names a couple of times. Just like when you took a nap in the car on the way back."

"Oh."

"Yeah," Kelsey paused. "Wanna talk about the dream?"

Natasha looked at her best friend hesitantly.

"Before you say no I would like to remind you that I am an almost-licensed psychologist and I'm highly qualified to help you," Kelsey smiled at her making Natasha smile too.

"Do you have any experience with this particular condition?" Natasha asked.

"Failure to sleep peacefully due to dreams of dead bodies and hot cops?" Kelsey asked, pretending to search her memory. "Nope but I'd be happy to try."

"What do you propose exactly?"

Kelsey sat down next to her on the bed. "At school we once did an exercise on suggestive hypnotherapy. That's the time I got paired to that idiot who told himself he's my soulmate and calls me with a different number every other day. Anyway, suggestive hypnotherapy helps us get to the root of the problem and change the way you perceive certain traumatic events to make them a little less traumatizing."

"I don't know..."

"It's not guaranteed that it will work but I can't watch you crying in your sleep again. It's heart wrenching," Kelsey said.

"I'll be fine," Natasha said shaking her head.

"Don't want me digging around in your head?" Kelsey teased. "What are you afraid I'll find?"

"Nothing," Natasha said rolling her eyes and brushing down her t-shirt. "Is it time to start making dinner?"

Kelsey gave her a look but didn't call her out on the change of subject. "I let Keisha loose and she went and woke mum so now she's grumpy as hell and from the banging of pots coming from the kitchen, I assume she's already cooking."

"Shouldn't we go help her then?"

"You've clearly never met my mum when her beauty sleep has been interrupted," Kelsey scoffed. "Best to steer clear of her and watch telly or something."

They went downstairs and Kelsey slept on the couch while Natasha joined Keisha on the floor who was glued to the cartoons on the screen.

"Keisha honey. Can we change the channel and watch something else?" Kelsey asked sweetly as she tried to sneak the remote away from where it was placed next to Keisha's teddy bear. Keisha immediately pounced on it before Kelsey could get it.

"No!" she pouted, sitting on the remote and turning her attention back to the screen. Natasha suppressed a laugh and sat back to watch the war brewing between the two siblings.