13. He ever showed them to

This chapter is dedicated to @he_he_ for her kind comments. Check out her fun action book "Run." You'll go Donkey Kong bonkers for Anna and Aaron (and yes I totally stole that line from you lol)

"Well don't you two look adorable."

The voice brought Natasha and Nathan out of their bubble and Nathan released her as he turned to see who had spoken.

"Mum," he acknowledged the woman smiling widely at them. "This is Natasha. Natasha, that's my mum."

His mother stepped forward, hugging Natasha tightly. When she released her, she held on to her hands. "I'm so pleased to meet you! Why didn't you tell me you had such a beautiful girlfriend?"

Natasha flushed, at a loss for words as the elder woman continued to fawn over her.

"Natasha's my...friend," Nathan said a little hesitantly. It wasn't exactly true but the alternative wasn't something he would be comfortable sharing.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs Henderson," Natasha smiled at her, cheeks still pink from her blush.

"Call me Catherine and the pleasure is all mine," she replied. When Catherine smiled, Natasha could see the likeness between her and her son, although Nathan didn't smile much. They had the same shade of brown hair and matching thin lips but Catherine's green eyes contrasted with Nathan's blue orbs.

Natasha felt a little self-conscious as Catherine stared at her intently, still holding her hand and she fidgeted, shifting her weight from one heeled foot to another. Catherine finally realized she was making Natasha uncomfortable and squeezed her hands lightly before letting go.

"I'm sorry for staring. It's just...for a second there you looked so much like Carey.

"Oh. Who's that?" Natasha asked curiously, noticing how Nathan tensed at the mention of that name.

"She's Nate's..." Catherine began but Nathan interrupted her.

"Can we talk for a minute mum?" he said insistently tugging on her arm. Catherine frowned, looking from an upset Nathan to a confused Natasha.

"Of course. Again, it was a pleasure Natasha," she said before turning away, arm-in-arm with Nathan.

Natasha gave her a small smile and a wave and looked on as they stood a little way away, talking. Nathan looked upset and Catherine seemed exasperated from the way she kept shaking her head and pointing at Natasha. It was obvious they were talking about her and Carey...whoever she was. Natasha assumed it was probably Nathan's ex-girlfriend whom he clearly did not want to talk about. Or maybe he just didn't want her to hear about it? She turned away from the two hoping to find someone at the party she could catch a ride home with. Stacey spotted her from the patio and waved her over.

"You looked a little lost back there," Stacey said as she eyed the white jacket that Natasha was wearing. Natasha noticed and immediately shrugged it off. Stacey wisely didn't comment on that. "Where's your mum?"

"She left already," Natasha shrugged. "And she took my phone with her by mistake so I have no way to get back home or call for a ride."

"I can take you home, if you don't mind waiting till the cake is cut?" Stacey offered.

"Oh no, that's okay. I'm sure you still have a lot to do here. If you could please borrow me your phone so I can call Kelsey to pick me up instead."

"It's really no trouble though," Stacey said, nevertheless handing Natasha her Blackberry. "Why didn't Kelsey come to the party anyway?"

"Her mum has a night shift at the hospital so Kelsey had to babysit Keisha," Natasha said as she dialed Kelsey's number from memory.

Stacey nodded as Natasha held the phone to her ear, waiting for Kelsey to pick up.