10. But by a circumstance beyond her control

Dedicated to @Twinning94, one of the first to read TUS. if you're looking for a story that will make you laugh, cry, scream, swoon and even turn murderous all in one go then check out their amazing teen fiction book Mirror Mirror (it even has a sequel!)

Lily got quite a shock when she switched on the kitchen light and found Natasha sitting stiffly by the counter, looking like she'd seen a ghost. It was well after 10 p.m and Natasha was still up which Lily thought was strange on it's own, aside from her zombie like state.

"Tasha?" She approached Natasha, snapping her fingers in her face and still got no response.
"What happened?" She asked worriedly.

When Natasha still didn't move, Lily held her daughter's face in her hands, stroking her cheeks lightly. Natasha blinked back to a state of semi-consciousness and looked at her mother surprised like she was only just seeing her.

"Why are you sitting in the dark?" Lily asked stroking Natasha's hair.
Natasha blinked a couple more times and Lily noticed that her eyes were bloodshot. Before Lily could question her again, Natasha's expression changed and tears fell down her cheeks.

"Mom," she sobbed and buried her face in her mother's chest. Lily hugged her soothingly while she cried. When she finally stopped, she raised her blotched red face and wiped the tears away.

"Talk to me baby. What's got you so upset?"

Natasha broke into a fit of sobs again and ran out of the kitchen and up to her room, locking her door behind her. She couldn't bear to tell her story again today after what happened with Nathan. She didn't even want to think about it. Besides, her mother would certainly find out with the rest of the world once Nathan came back for her with the entire police force. The thought made her break down and crash to her knees. The knock on the door that came shortly after startled her and she scrambled away from the door and sat leaning against the bed.

"Tasha! Open the door honey," her mother called.

"I don't want to talk," Natasha called back.

"'I just want to help you with whatever's bothering you."

Natasha had fallen for that one before and now she was counting the minutes till she was thrown into a cell.

"Go away!" she yelled. Lily didn't say anything for a while and Natasha almost believed she was gone until she spoke again.

"If you change your mind I'm here for you. I love you," she said. When Lily said things like that it was hard for Natasha to believe that her mother was somehow involved in Henry's death. Maybe that's why she had left out her mother's mysterious call when she confessed her sins to Nathan. At least now, only one of them would end up in jail.

She was still trapped in her spiraling thoughts of prison when she heard her phone ring. She grabbed it from the bedside table, hoping that maybe Nathan did have her number after all and was calling her as he had promised. The disappointment she felt when she saw that it was Kelsey calling instead made her want to throw the phone at the wall. Nevertheless she answered the call, knowing Kelsey would keep calling until she did.

"What did he do to you?" Kelsey asked in lieu of a greeting as usual.

"Who?"

"Your mum just called me and asked me if I knew what was going on with you because you had a mental breakdown and locked yourself in your room and the last person I saw you with was Detective Whats-His-Face. So what did he do to you?" Kelsey demanded.

Natasha felt the tears well up in her eyes again but she managed to fight them down. "I'm in trouble Kelsey."

"What happened?"