Bonus Chapter: An Unforgivable Queen?

Song: Bryan Adams - Please Forgive Me

"Hey, Boss?"

Natasha looked up from the bowl of dough she was mixing to the young woman with caramel skin and neon green braids—barely covered by the hairnet she was wearing—peeking around the door that separated the kitchen from the cosy, restaurant-like serving area.

"I told you not to call me that, Rox," she said, not batting an eye at the grey dress covered with little, black skulls that Roxanne was wearing. Everyone at the bakery had become accustomed to her outspoken style of fashion, but it was enough to make anyone else stop and look twice. She went back to mixing, while the young man next to her smirked at Roxanne before turning his attention back to watching Natasha.

"When have you ever known me to be obedient?"

She cocked an eyebrow at that. "Is that something you should be saying to your boss?"

"I thought you said you weren't my boss?" Roxanne teased.

"What do you want, Rox?" she asked, sighing in resignation as she scooped a couple of spoons of flour into the bowl and continued mixing.

"Someone's looking for you up front."

She glanced at the clock on the wall in the kitchen and her forehead furrowed in confusion. "He wasn't supposed to be here until 4. Can you take him to my office while we finish testing this recipe?"

"It's not Nathan," Roxanne said.

"Who is it then?" she asked, even more confused. She didn't really know a lot of people who would pop in for a visit in the Capital, much less unannounced.

"She said not to tell you."

Her confusion turned to suspicion. Apart from a fashion sense that defied convention, Roxanne was also known for the pranks she liked to pull on the people she worked with. Last time Natasha had fallen for one of her classic pranks, she'd ended up attending a meeting with the bakery's board members, in a clown outfit.

"If this is one of your pranks—" she began.

"It's not," Roxanne hurried to assure her, but Natasha still had her doubts.

"Tell me who it is then."

"I can't. I'd have to give back the money I made her pay me not to tell you."

This wasn't a prank. Roxanne never made jokes about money, especially when she was on the receiving end.

"What the hell?"

"I've got a tonne of debt and expensive taste," she shrugged, showing off her fancy sneakers. "Sue me." 

"You're unbelievable."

"So, should I tell her you're coming?" Roxanne smiled cheekily at her.

Curious now, Natasha nodded and passed the bowl to the young man she'd been working with, giving him instructions to finish up. She washed her hands, wiping them down on her apron before she removed it and hung it on a hook behind the door, then followed Roxanne out.

The seating area had been a recent addition in a move to expand the business from a simple bakery to a place that's perfect for a quick coffee and a sweet snack, or an informal business meeting. Tables and booths filled up most of the area, while one end had the traditional counter where several baked treats were displayed. 

A preppy beat filled the place as Roxanne led her towards a booth set in a corner, where a woman sat, almost hidden from view with a wide-brimmed, white hat that shielded half her face, and a pale yellow dress that looked oddly familiar. When they finally walked up to her, the mystery visitor looked up and Natasha stared in silent horror at the face of Lilian Evans.