24. Whose heart was broken...

Dedicated to @aqsamustaf for the support. Check out story "You call this fate?" I just started it and it's already showing that it's going to be a brilliant read.

"Of course you remember you have a best friend now that you broke up with Detective McHotpants," Kelsey complained adjusting her car seat so she was half sitting up and half lying back on it.

Natasha ignored the comment and focused on the road ahead. So many emotions were going through her mind; anger, confusion, worry, heartbreak. Each clamouring to be the most felt.

When Natasha didn't respond to her taunt like she usually would, Kelsey tried making another joke. "Next time you want to fall for a guy, I'm picking because you're bad at it."

Natasha glared at her. At least it was something. "Too soon?" Kelsey asked giving her a cheeky smile.

"I don't really want to talk Kelsey," Natasha finally said. She'd pretty much shut down after going to Kelsey and filling her in on everything. Kelsey had insisted on accompanying her to find her mother and so they were on their way in Natasha's car but all attempts at conversation by Kelsey were met with silence, one word answers or a barely audible grunt.

"Yeah well you should have thought of that before you made me pick riding with you over Liam." Kelsey glanced back and seeing Liam still driving right behind them, stuck her hand out through the window and waved at him.

"I didn't make you do anything!" Natasha protested.

"Whatever, Your Moodiness," Kelsey brushed her protests away looking back to the front. "Look, I get you're hurt over what happened but maybe it's for the best. You trust people way too easily and I think it's a good thing you found out the truth before it was too late and he'd betrayed you even more."

"He said that once," Natasha said quietly.

"Who said what?"

"Nath-" she trailed off and let out a heavy sigh. "Detective Henderson. He said I trust people too easily. I should have known he was talking about himself."

Kelsey sat up and turned towards Natasha. "Tasha..."

"How was I so stupid and blind? Everyone warned me against trusting him; you, Uncle David, Mum." Her voice broke at the last word. "He shared his secrets with me and he pushed me to stand up for myself with Max and I really thought he liked me..."

"Pull over," Kelsey told her.

"Why?" Natasha asked wiping away tears with the back of her hand but she obliged. Liam stopped right behind them and moved to get out of his car and check on them but Kelsey signaled to him to stay put.

"Maybe he did care, maybe he didn't. That doesn't matter right now. Someone is killing people and they keep trying to frame you for it and if Nathan-" she emphasized his name, "-has any semblance of decency in him, he'll focus on finding out who it is. Your mum could be in danger, all you need to focus on right now is finding out if she's okay then we'll take it from there," Kelsey said holding Natasha's hand. Natasha gave her a weak, watery smile and Kelsey pulled her in for a hug.

"Let's switch, I think you could use some rest," she said already opening her door. Natasha didn't protest and when Kelsey got out of the car, she jumped over to the passenger seat. Kelsey went to talk to Liam after she left Natasha's car.

"Is everything okay?" he asked when he stepped out of his own car and stood with her.

"Yeah, she was just upset so we're switching and I'm driving," Kelsey replied reaching up to play with a lock of his dark hair.