Chapter One

The fallen city crumbled around me. Dust clouds fuzzed my vision along with waves of tears. Fear and pain resided in my heart. I tried to struggle to my feet but I couldn't escape the agony that stabbed in my leg. I dug my nails into the dirt, scraping the mud desperately. An eerie silence flooded my ears and tears spilled down my blood-stained face. I cried out for my mother, over and over. 'Mother? Where are you?'

I stopped shouting, hoping to hear something that will fill the space. Only the deafening noise of nothingness was left. I didn't hesitate. I continued shouting till my throat was sore and I had no breath left on my dry tongue. Thinking back now, I feel I shouted because I was afraid of nothing. I was afraid that endless silence would pull me down. A spider creeping on its prey with unforgiving eyes. It drags you down into its emptiness. It takes you into nothing. Isn't that silly, to be afraid of nothing?

I don't know when, but my jaw dropped down and my neck was sore from lifting my head. My breathing was heavy and shallow. I let my head fall onto the dirt. The cuts on my cheek stung like crazy but I did nothing to stop the pain. I looked around from my place on the floor, my turquoise-coloured eyes dull with hopelessness.

Broken-down houses scattered the once beautiful village floor. Rubble and thatched rooves brushed the ground and I looked away from the awful sights. I saw the castle on the hill. The glorious building had been reduced to nothing. Even the castle is a mess. I remember thinking.

I looked away and began searching for life. I hoped someone else was around to help me. The only thing I saw was a stupid dove, flying overhead. Usually I'd be happy to see an animal, but what help was a dove? I sighed deeply and dropped my head again. Hopelessness flooded my body and I felt my limbs go heavy. My brain screamed in tiredness and I couldn't be bothered to struggle anymore. I shut my eyes and let the stinging pain of my cuts, and the stabbing pain in my leg, overtake my body.

The sky hid behind a cover of dust; it was just as scared of the village as I was. The stench of dirt coughed into my lungs and I could feel rocks cutting my arms and hands. My light-blonde hair was stained with blood and mud and it sprawled out, messily. I slid out of consciousness, too weary to continue and abhorring the awful situation I was in.

A sharp shaking woke me after what felt like hours, but he told me it was only a few seconds. I opened my eyes slowly and saw a face come into view. An unfamiliar gaze fell upon my shredded and injured body. I didn't know him, but I was so happy to see another person – which felt wrong and strange at the time, I understand why now. He smiled gently at me. I tried to get up, but my leg rebelled against my intentions and dragged me down. 'Don't move.' His voice was a gentle, husky sound and I felt comforted to hear a soft voice. My arms gave way and my face hit the ground with a sharp thump. I saw the boy stand. He towered over me and I cringed slightly.

'Let me move this rock.' Confusion swelled inside me. I turned my head and finally saw what was holding me down. Part of a large rock came into view. It crushed my leg and I suddenly realise why my ankle screamed in agony. A sharper pain stabbed my leg as he pushed the boulder off me. I cried out, unable to keep it in. The pain only lasted a moment before he had gotten it off. He didn't hesitate. Immediately, he was at my side. He gently lifted me into his arms and leaned me against the rock. He calmly swiped the hair out of my eyes and brushed away the tears with his thumb. He was kneeing on one knee, the other he rested his elbow on.

He met my gaze with soft brown eyes. His messy, brown crop of hair fluttered lightly in the breeze. A small, metal chain hung around his neck, but the end of it was hidden under his long, leather jacket. The jacket was almost a waist coat, as it fell to his legs and cut into a triangle at the bottom.