Chapter Nine

9

I could feel tiredness in my eyes, and pain in my leg. My head felt heavy and I was finding balancing on Chewy more and more difficult. Alden kept giving me worried looks, and I would respond with a tired, yet reassuring, smile.

My leg was in a lot of pain and my eye twitched. I grinded my teeth together.

'Misty?'

My eyes shot open as I realised I was slipping off Chewy. Alden had stopped the old donkey, and was desperately trying to shove me back into a more stable position. I quickly tightened my core, regaining balance, and repositioned myself on Chewy's back.

Alden's brown eyes shone and he blinked worriedly at me, 'Kid?'

'...No.' I bit my lip, knowing what he was going to ask.

He gave me a frustrated look, 'Are you ok?' He demanded, folding his arms in almost a fatherly fashion. He stared directly into my eyes.

I broke his gaze, lowering my turquoise eyes to my hands, resting on Chewy's haunches. I flicked my fingers absent-mindedly, trying to avoid answering.

The truth was, my leg felt like absolute hell. However, after all I'd been through, I'd learnt to hide my pain. But, this wound was worse than any other injury I had ever had. So, I wasn't surprised he could see the hurt in my gaze.

Truly, I felt like crying.

'I'm fine.' I whispered, tensing my shoulders and arms.

Alden took a step forward, wrapped his arms around me, and lifted me off Chewy, gently cradling me. 'H-Hey!' I called in surprise, but not upset or anger.

'You clearly can't hold yourself up. You can sleep in my arms.' He told me, before setting off at a quick pace.

I sighed and settled down in his grasp. I supposed I could just sleep. It might take my mind off everything that was happening.

My last thought was of my mother as I fell asleep.

I remember my dreams, reasonably clearly.

The first dream I had was set in a large meadow. I stood side by side with Cinder, her fingers intertwined with mine. She glanced down at me and smiled. I smiled back.

The meadow stretched out endlessly. Dips and rises of hills and valleys running ahead. On the left was a long forest and a curvy, dirt path reaching out of it and going every which way.

I breathed in deeply, inhaling the soft, grassy scent. A dragonfly buzzed past and landed on my nose.

It was blue with black stripes and large wings. It soon took and I watched it go, smiling all the while.

Wild mustangs ran past us, at a far distance. When the lead stallion spotted us, stood on a gently sloped hill above the herd, he turned and lead them towards us. My mother ran down the slope, dragging me after her.

Grass sprayed at our feet, our bare feet scraping their roots.

As the herd neared, we made a sharp turn, so the mustangs were chasing us. Because they were, of course, faster than us, we soon ran by their side.

Twining my fingers in their flaxen manes, I gently hauled myself onto a black mare's back, just as mother had taught me. I had named her Angel. Each of her legs had white sock, and she had a white star on her forehead. Her mane was a smoky-grey. I always rode her.

My mother rode the main stallion. A palomino mustang. He was brave and protected his herd from threats such as cougars. His name? Warrior.

As the wind teased roughly at my hair, I let go of her mane and threw my arms out to the side, welcoming the harsh breeze as we cleared the terrain at a great speed. I smiled widely and my mother turned to look at me, from where she ran in front, beaming as much as I was.