Chapter Twelve

'Meet Chewy and me back here at half an hour at most.' I hissed, fearful to be alone for too long. Alden smiled at me and ruffled my hair calmingly. I relaxed slightly.

Alden nodded to me and I returned the gesture. 'I promise you, I will be back soon with a doctor.'

A thought whispered in my ear and I vocalised the idea, 'Why...why don't I just go wi...ah.' Pain jolted in my leg and I was cut off. I gave a yelp of pain and tensed my muscles. Pressing my back against Chewy's soft fur. He snorted and turned to check if I was alright.

I bit my cheek, trying to choke back the pain.

Alden inhaled sharply through clenched teeth. 'You wanna come with me? Like this? Heck no.' He shook his head and glanced down at my leg. 'Not in this state. I'll be coming back with a doctor.' I could tell he was trying to keep the concern from his voice.

I nodded, not bothering to argue (which I knew surprised him.) and sighed in an exaggerated way.

'I'll be back soon.' He told me, rising to his full height. Turning, he began to walk away. But, after a moment, he paused and looked over his shoulder, a loving grin on his face, 'Love you, lil sis.' He joked. Though I could tell he also meant what he said.

It wasn't long till he was completely out of my sight.

Closing my eyes, I sunk into a strange- yet utterly unforgettable- daydream.

I shuddered as the dream began.

I stood blinking amongst loud noise. People clamoured around me and I was shoved side to side. A heavy shove caused me to cough and I felt a tug at my hand. Glancing over, I saw myself.

In seconds, I knew I was seeing the past through Cinder's eyes, and not my own.

'Mother!'

Cinder lost her grip and was swept away from me. 'Misty!' She shrieked.

Cinder shook her head and began desperately trying to claw her way through the huge crowds. Panic rose in her chest as she was thrown further backwards.

Stumbling, she barely managed to keep her balance. A frantic hand met her cheek as someone barged past and flung Cinder down.

Turning onto her hands and knees, she crawled hurriedly out of the crowd, feet kicking her from all sides as they carried people past.

Finally, she managed to scrabble back onto her feet. With tears in her eye at the thought of leaving me, she dashed up the hill to the castle.

Another shake rippled through the earth and she fell once more. Clenching handfuls of grass between her fingers, she braced herself while it passed.

A moment went by and she was running again. Sprinting towards the castle, her feet aching in effort. Wind brushing her flushed cheeks.

I could feel her utter distress.

When she reached the castle, she fell again. Tucking her nose into the inside of her elbow, she caught her breath. Another painful moment went by before she thrust herself back onto her feet and pelted off once more. Exhaustion cracked at her ribs and her lungs were plagued with heaviness.

Workers at the castle swept around Cinder, pulling and pushing her side to side.

She stood at the edge of the castle. Stumbling backwards after a harsh shove to the stomach, she managed to dislodge a huge rock. Coughing at the impact of hitting the ground, her heart fell when she heard the boulder roll off the castle, and a desperate, familiar shriek, being cut off by it.