Chapter Ten

10

'Got it!' I told my mother. I lifted a fish, gently in two hands. I made sure to handle it carefully and not hurt it.

Cinder turned and smiled at me. 'Well done. Can you tell me what species it is?'

'Is it a river trout?' I asked, eyes shining.

'Correct!' She praised and I turned to let it slip out of my hands and dive into the water.

Looking around, I stretched upwards, realising the tension in my back. I yawned, scrunching my nose as I did so.

'Come on, help me bring the boat back to the bank.' My mother said and I dived out of the boat. We didn't have ores, so we had to push it from the water.

Cinder leaped out and swam beside me. We began paddling towards the shore, shoving the boat from behind as we went.

The water rippled as we disturbed it and fish swerved away from our kicking feet.

Droplets splashed my face and some filtered into my mouth. I turned away from Cinder and spat it out, without stopping swimming.

When we reached the bank, I swam round the boat and clambered onto the land. Grabbing the front of the boat, I began tugging it further onto the shore, while mother continued pushing it from behind.

Once it was settled on the land, I climbed into it and packed away the stuff inside it whilst Cinder started dismantling it. The boat was hand-made and mother had made it so it was easily portable. You simply took it apart and threw it into a bag when you were done.

Throwing my rucksack over my shoulder, I ran after mother, who was already travelling back with the boat parts in a bag in her hand.

I walked beside her, out of the large forest and into the endless meadows.

'I wonder where Warrior and the herd are.' Cinder whispered under her breath. I hardly heard her, but I did catch what she said.

I shrugged, 'I'm sure they're prancing around somewhere in a meadow a few fields away.' I replied.

She smiled at me, 'Yeah. Having bucket loads of fun.'

'Just like us.' I smiled, playfully shoving into her, 'Race you back to the village!' I cried, immediately pushing off my legs and sprinting away from her.

'Hey! Get back here you!' She yelled, racing after me.

I flew over the meadow, wind dragging my hair out behind me. I laughed, grass tickling my feet.

I glanced behind me. My mother was close and I kicked up the speed. Sunlight shone brightly down on us and dried our wet clothes with the help of a warm breeze.

The grass sparkled in the light as I trampled past it. How could anything ruin what I have now?

The thought passed over me and glowed around me. Joy settled in my stomach. Have I finally been rewarded for my resilience? I thought, thinking about the life I had now, about Cinder and Angel. And the days I spent on the meadow and in the forest.

It was perfect. Too perfect.

A butterfly fluttered past my ear as I ran messily past. The wind brushed my fingertips and I licked my dry lips.

As the village came into sight, the ground became flat and I sped up. Dirt flew out from my heels as I charged across the grassy plains.

I skidded to a halt and finished in the village entrance, panting. Utterly out of breath, I turned to see my mother breathing heavily beside me. She shot me a happy smile and straightened her back from a crouching position.