Chapter Twenty-One

Always?' I echoed with a shaking, fearful voice.

A year had passed since Alden had opened up to me. The day, though, was still fresh in my memory. Vivid and unforgettable, I would recall the encounter every night when I couldn't sleep because I figured if I couldn't sleep anyway, I might as well make use of it. Despite many long nights, I hadn't gotten any answers. He never let anything slip and didn't have the guts to ask.

Throughout the year, roughly eighteen children had been adopted and most moved to a different town. This group included Natty. It made me sad, though, when he left as we'd become closer as friends after the incident two (ish) years prior. He was a good kid, in truth.

All of the children there when I first came had gone. Natty told me he'd been there eight years and doubted he'd ever be adopted. Two months after that statement, he found a happy home. And that made me happy.

The orphanage owner loomed over me. Her hands on her hips, 'Always. Yer never gonna be adopted! Yer staying here forever, kid.' She hissed.

My heart sunk deep into my chest and I began having backwards thoughts. Unrealistic ones.

Does this mean Alden isn't going to adopt me?

Unrealistic because one, why would I listen to this bitch over my family? And two, Alden had done so much to contradict that thought. Including building and furnishing an entire house.

But these thoughts only ravished around in my head for less than three seconds as Alden strode quickly and purposefully into the room. He ignored me altogether and pointed an accusing finger at the owner, 'Never, ever, say that kind of thing to her!' He threatened, his eyes blazing, 'Or you will painfully regret it.'

Then, he turned and beckoned me to follow as he left. I swung along (on my crutches) after him, no longer hurrying to catch up. I'd gotten quite nimble on them, able to keep pace with Alden when he jogged. Which was honestly an amazing achievement.

We left the orphanage and it was clear Alden was unhappy. Not angry, but unhappy.

His shoulders were tensed up and he was walking with no sway in his arms. I caught up and matched his pace easily. 'Come on, let's go sit in the meadow.'

He smiled at me and I smiled back.

'Okay.'

Instead of climbing the hill like we usually did, we decided to make a change and perch somewhere randomly in the field.

The familiar scent of the grass was calming to my mind. I lay back in the horde of sod and watched the passing clouds with attentive eyes. A few birds (golden pheasants, red-legged partridges, common quails, red-breasted geese and even a black-throated diver) littered the sky at one point or another. Their feathers spiked under the wind-pressure and fluffed up slightly.

Propping myself up on my shoulders, I could see from a distance a red squirrel clinging to an oak tree. It held an acorn in its paws. Its tail was puffed up, flicking side to side. It stared back at me with black, beady eyes.

I looked away and towards Alden. 'You okay?' I asked.

He nods, 'I am. I just hope she never says that to anyone again. What a disgusting thing to tell a child.' He wrinkled his nose as if there was a bad scent in the air.

He looked over at a drove of deer, grazing not far from us. When I looked over, I saw a fawn approaching meekly. It lifted its hooves awkwardly as it came nearer. Its mother, a wry-looking doe, watching calmly. The fawn's speckled fur bristled in the breeze. It didn't seem afraid of us, simply cautious. Its big-ears rotated swiftly at each noise, keeping the fawn alert and informed.