Chapter Five

5

Day six with Alden, and I think I'm starting to realise how secretive he really is.

I sat up in bed and looked over at Alden. I narrowed my eyes at him and he opened his eyes slightly. He stared at me in confusion,

'Something up?' He murmured as he lay there.

'Who are you?'

'Alden.' He closed his eyes.

I gritted my teeth. 'Ok, so why did you happen upon my village? I know you don't live there.'

'I was travelling.'

'Why?'

'Why's it relevant?' He grunted. I glared at him, but his eyes were shut, so he didn't notice.

'Alden!' I reached over and shoved his shoulder.

'What?' He opened his eyes and sat up. He met my gaze.

'Why won't you tell me anything?' I hissed at him, a little too aggressively. He stared wide-eyed at me. His gaze broke slightly and I saw pain behind the walls he'd built.

Why does your soul hurt?

Gone.

Iron bars back up.

He reached his hand out and touched my cheek with the tip of his index and middle fingers. I flinched slightly but held still after a moment.

'It can't hurt if you don't know.' He whispered, his gaze scanning my face. I sighed and leaned forward so my head rested on his chest.

I felt his hand weigh on my hand and scruff my blonde hair. I pricked my ears, listening to his heart beat carefully. It seemed to falter. Speeding up for a moment, going faster than would be healthy. Then, suddenly, it slowed dramatically. The pumping was deeper and I felt like cringing. It felt too slow.

'What's up with your heart?' I whispered, my voice low and husky.

'What do you mean?'

'It hasn't got a set rhythm.' I closed my eyes and absorbed its vibrations and sounds.

'It doesn't matter...' His voice drifted away into the oblivion named 'silence'. I opened my mouth, ready to argue but I felt skin press against my lips. Opening my eyes, I saw Alden covering my mouth with his hand. 'Don't. Please.'

I looked up into his eyes. I saw them darkening in distress, 'Don't ask anymore.' He choked on his words.

A surprising show of emotion.

From that small exchange, I got so much information on Alden. Nothing on his past, but info on who he is.

At first, I'd assumed he was cruel and secretive. He'd been planning my end. After all, a lot of people are corrupted enough to do that sort of thing. And, yet, I'd stayed with him? Maybe because I felt that he had more depth than just cruel and dishonest. In any case, I'm glad I stayed.

I learnt, after spending time with him, he was a kind person who's heart beat for the helpless. He had a kind of strength that he seemed to draw from his will to help people who needed him.

It was more than admirable.

Imagine being able to draw power from another person's emotions in order to protect them. Use their discomfort and turn it into positive energy for both of you to have.

That's what I learned. And I held onto that. I prayed that one day, I'd be able to save him.

A creaking at the door made both our heads turn. Audrey tottered in, carrying a tray of steaming food. Alden smiled at her and clambered over to her. He placed his hand on her shoulder and nodded his head once, as he spoke, 'Thank you so much for all this, Audrey. Really. How can we repay you?'