Chapter 8: Maia

I decided to write a little chapter in Maia's perspective to try to show more of her personality and her as a person. It'll go along with the last chapter where Lina visits her father.

Maia's POV

My whole life I've been blind. The Tohunga said I should take my disability and put it to my advantage: judging people by their actions and not how they look and all that.

Of course, me being (the only) Atheist I never believed that. I knew it was just because of an illness I had before I was fully developed. But it was nice for people to think that my disability was a symbol from the gods as a way of showing how we should judge someone.

The things that happen in a small Maori village...

But when my powers manifested and all of a sudden I had an inkling of what it was like to be able to see...It almost made me feel worse. Like before it was fine, I couldn't see and that's how it was. But now...I could sense things, but I couldn't see them. I couldn't see how they looked, what colors they were, or how they messed with the Earth around them. I just...Could sense that they were there. It was like starving someone, and then putting food in front of them but not allowing them to eat it.

But that's the way it was. I knew where things were now, and it's a blessing. I shouldn't look down on this gift, I should welcome it with open arms.

"Maia, what do you think doing inside?" My mother's thick accent scolded and I found myself groaning as I felt her body storm into the living room of our small house.

"Resting Mother, that's what people do when they're not doing anything." I replied. "And what I like to do after school."

"Resting, ha! You should be outside, talking to people or practicing those excersize-things that that woman keeps teaching you!" Mother exclaimed and I rolled my eyes.

"'That Woman' has a name Kowhaea, and it's Lina, and I already practiced." I said, remembering when I was combat training early in the morning before the sun came up, and then meditated for power-control after. "As for socializing: I'll do that when people stop treating me like a freak."

"They don't treat you like a freak Tamariki, you're just...Different." Mom said and I sighed, getting up and walking out.

"Whatever Whaea, I'm heading out." I called before walking out of the house.

The land around my house was baren, and didn't have many obstacles for me to weasel through. I hummed as I ran a hand through my thick, messy hair. I hate brushing my hair, it's too thick and wavy that it's just a natural mess and, well, I don't have anyone to impress. So I just leave it the way it is.

Suddenly, I feel my phone buzz and I reach for it. I take out the built-in headphones and plug them in before pressing the button with 'read message' written in braille.

"Please stop trying to set me and Quinn up! It's not gonna happen Lina." The voice said and I laughed.

So Quinn talked to Lina huh, that had to be interesting...

When my thoughts fell on Lina, my smile fell. Kaldur and Lina were an ideal couple: they brought each other out of their shells, always knew how to make each other smile and when they needed some love...It didn't take a genius to see why they would have lasted so long.

But then that idiot had to go betray the team, smashing Lina's heart in the process. Then to add insult to injury, her Dad had his stroke and passed away...

I knew from personal experience what it was like to lose your father when you were so close, and how hard it can be on someone. Of course, when my dad passed away I didn't have anybody. Lina has me and her brothers (or at least Leo), and I hope that that will be enough.

She's done so much for me, I just hope I can repay her by helping her through this.

When I finally got to the Zeta-tube, I went straight to France. Walking into the dance studio, the familiar essence of sweat and perfume drifted into my nose.

"Ah, if it isn't our friend from New Zealand." Quinn's voice said and I smiled and faced where I sensed his body was.

"Hey Quinn." I said, using the French Lina had taught me. "Is Lina still around?"

"She actually just left...She wasn't in a great mood so I think you may want to check the cemetery." Quinn said and I nodded.

"Got it, Thanks Q." I said and Quinn laughed before I walked out.

Quinn was alright. He was charming and well-mannered, probably coming from being a single-teen-father. Honestly, I was a little surprised when I heard that he and Lina had a little bit of a fling in High School. I could see how they would be friends, but he just always seemed kind of...Loud compared to Lina. Then again, who am I to judge? I'm just a lonely Asexual-stereotype who doesn't understand how love works.

I walked down the streets of France country, effortlessly using my powers to dodge the cold. As I walked, I adjusted my evil sunglasses. I hated having to wear the damn things, but at the same time I understood it. If someone saw a blind girl walking along the streets without a guide or a staff: it wouldn't end well. Secret ID and all that...

When I finally got to the cemetery, the winds picked up the sound of someone crying. I immideatly knew it was Lina, and my legs took off without me even noticing. Before I knew it, Lina was clutching me into her chest while I muttered words of comfort into her ear.