Chapter 22: Goodbyes

I was awoken by the smell of fresh berries and spices drifting through the air. When I opened my eyes, I was happy to see Shay was still passed out, snuggled into my chest.

A moment after my eyes opened, a familiar 15 year old girl stepped out of my kitchen; a spatula in one hand and a smile on her face. She was dressed in her usual colourful t-shirt and cargo pants but her hair was unusually braided into a long, fishtail braid.

"Nice hair." I muttered.

"Thanks, Bart did it last night..." Maia said, using her empty hand to examine her braid before she looked back at us. "You too seem to have talked through the awkwardness."

"One could say so..." I replied, stroking Shay's bangs out of her eyes. "What smells so good? Don't tell me you made fresh-berry-cakes."

"But of course." Maia shrugged. "I also told Quinn to postpone you class."

I cursed under my breath. "I swear...I don't know why he keeps me around, I'm hardly ever there anymore..."

"'Cause he'd be losing his best teacher is he didn't." Maia shrugged. Just as she answered, Shay began to stir under me. Hesitantly, I loosened my grip on her so she could move.

"Mmm..." Shay moaned, rousing from her sleep. "Something smells really good..."

"Maia made breakfast." I explained as Shay's eyes opened.

"Really? Thanks..." Shay said.

"No big." Maia shrugged. "We...haven't properly met yet...I'm Maia, Lina's-""Protege, I know." Shay cut Maia off. "Of course, growing up I always called you Aunty Mai...but ya, it's nice to meet you."

Maia raised an eyebrow but shrugged before turning back to her cooking. "Well...I'll be in the kitchen. You guys get dressed and stuff, Nightwing should be calling soon and these cakes aren't going to be wasted."

I turned to Shay and smiled. "So...You ready to go back home?"

Shay smiled gently, shrugging. "A little...but part of me kind of...wants to stay."

I sighed and stroked her cheek gently, causing Shay to lean into my touch. "I'd like that too, I'd love to get to know you a little better...but there's a rip in the...time-thing and you need to fix it. Plus if you stay here too long without fixing it...God knows what will happen. Besides...I think Jaime and Bart are...starting to really get along, and nobody wants to split that apart."

Shay frowned. "Bart and...Blue Beetle..? That's....okay...weird, but...okay."

"Is there a problem?" I asked, but Shay shook her head.

"Nah, I trust Bart."

We both stood up, stretching out the kinks in our muscles from sleeping on the floor.

"Thanks...for... talking to me last night." I finally said, smiling at my daughter. "You were right, I think. I'm not who I once was, and...I think I'm ready to try to work towards trying to get back to my old-self. I'm... definitely not over your father yet...but I can't let his treatchery destroy my life forever. I don't think I can ever...go back to being exactly the woman you knew...but I can try to work through this and...try to at least be a better person."

Shay smiled, and without hesitation: she leaped at me and embraced me into a hug.

"Thank you Mama..." She said into my hair.

"Hate to break up the Gilmore Girls moment..." Maia suddenly said, stepping out of the kitchen. "But breakfast is ready."
***

Back at the warehouse I watched Dick hand Shay the supplies she asked for. Maia and Jaime were off in a corner with Bart, who watched us anxiously.

"Are you sure that's everything you need?" I asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"It should be." Shay nodded, putting everything in the utility belt that hung on her non-existent hips. "Thanks Nightwing."

"Just make sure the tear is fixed." Nightwing nodded, and Shay nodded in return before turning to me.

"Thanks again...for everything." She said, giving me a smile.

Smiling, I pulled her into a tight hug which she easily eases into. "The pleasure was mine Shay. I'd say come again but...I don't think that'd be a good idea." Shay chuckled and nodded, pulling away gently.

"Well, I hope that even if you don't end up having me...you do end up getting a happily ever after." Shay smiled and I laughed, ruffling her head.

"Same to you kid, take good care of the future alright? And more importantly, yourself."

"Okay...Mama." I smiled at the name and gently pressed a kiss to her forehead. I held it there for a moment before I pulled away, letting Shay walk over and embrace Bart.

"I wish you could come with me Squirt..." Shay muttered. "Stupid timestream..."

"Just...say hi to Nathaniel for me, alright?" Bart shrugged and Shay nodded, squeezed him one more time, and walked away.

She strolled to the center of the room before pulling out a little electronic gizmo from her waist and fiddling with it for a moment. At the last moment, she looked up and smiled at all of us.

"Well...see ya around." Shay shrugged, smiling.

"Goodbye Shay." I said, waving at her. She smiled at me one last time before pushing one last button and with a flash of light, she was gone.

Lalala, I can't sleep...so I decided to write the last Shay chapter.

What did you think of Shay? Like? Dislike? Theories? Comment what you think.

Just so y'all know...the next few chapters are gonna get very...

Interesting