Chapter 23: Mama Bird

Guess who got to write a little bit of salty Lina and is oh so very happy?!

"So...it's a cartoon...about gay space rocks and their adopted son...who's half space rock?" I asked, eyebrow raised as I looked at my TV as I ate my fruit salad.

Jaime, Bart and Maia sat on my couch, watching a cartoon named 'Steven Universe' on my TV since Maia and Jaime wanted to show Bart this cartoon, but Maia doesn't actually have a television and Jaime's mom had friends over so he couldn't use his.

Apparently my apartment was their plan B.

"Yup." Maia said, popping the 'p' as she grabbed a handful of chips from the bowl in Bart's lap.

"There's also evil space rocks that want to suck Earth of all it's minerals and kill off all human life!" Jaime pipes up, his head resting on Bart's shoulder.

I know Maia knows she's a third wheel...and now I see why she puts up with it: those two are adorable.

"Interesting..." I said, taking another bite out of my fruit salad.

"I totally feel like you're the team's very own version of Pearl..." Bart said, smirking up at me and I raised an eyebrow.

"Isn't she the uptight one? With a crush on Steven's dead mom?" I asked, eyebrow.

"Well...ya..." Bart said, blushing and scratching his cheek awkwardly.

"He has a point though Lin'." Maia said, throwing a price of popcorn into the air and catching it in her mouth. "You're a good trainer, you're the ultimate mom-friend, and you're madly in love with someone that's no longer here!"

"Maia!" I said strictly, but Maia simply smirked and shrugged.

"Can't be mad that I speak the truth Lina." She said coyly and I rolled my eyes at her.

My eyes met Jaime, who watched the show with a small look of distance in his eyes. I had heard that he had asked the league to try to remove his scarab, the thing on his back that gave him his armour. Apparently it was because of a prophecy Bart had told him about him allegedly becoming evil and taking over the world...

"How are you doing Jaime?" I asked, kindly smiling at the teenage Latino.

Jaime stiffened and looked away from the TV, and Maia paused it and looked at her friend with concern.

"Honestly Hermana...no great." Jaime said, rubbing the back of his neck. "The scarab won't come off and...I don't know..."

I felt a twinge of empathy for the boy and I moved forward, placing a hand on Jaime's shoulder.

"We'll figure it out Jaime, don't worry." I said comfortingly. "We'll find a way to deactivate the scarab without harming you, and everything will be okay. I promise."

Jaime smiled up at me and nodded, I rubbed the boy's head and returned the smile.

Suddenly, my comm beeped to life and I pressed on it to answer it.

"Zephyr." I answered.

"Zephyr, it's Nightwing. I need Blue, Impulse, and Clairvoyance at HQ in fifteen for a mission, and you for debriefing. Are they with you?" Dick's voice asked.

"Ya, they're here. We'll be there soon. See you then." I said before signing off. "Okay guys, shut off the TV and get suited up: y'all have got a mission."
***

Dick did not mention our special guest over the com.

The mission was to infiltrate Lexcorp's gardens in Smallville...a agricultural factory that was owned by-you guessed it-Lexcorp...but it was also partners with The Reach, who had gone public and were now everyone's favorite aliens...

Even though they freaking tortured me and a bunch of 15 year olds but ya, no biggie! That totally makes sense! Hate the Justice League who have literally been saving your asses for years but love a bunch of aliens who you literally know NOTHING about. It's fine, I don't care. I totally don't care! I don't even care!

I care immensely

The mission was given to Jaime, Bart, Maia, Tim...and Roy.

But no, not Roy Harper AKA Red Arrow, the 'original' Roy Harper AKA Arsenal. The fifteen year old boy with a temper worse then Superboy's, and who has a grudge against Lex Luther-the owner of Lexcorp-for putting him on ice and cloning him!

Yes, this seems like a good idea! Absolutely nothing could possibly go wrong with this!

"Any questions?" Dick asked once he had explained the mission.

Besides 'what possessed you to think putting these five children on a covert mission without supervision was a good idea?' NOPE

"Just one..." Arsenal spoke up. "Why are we meeting in this dump?"

Nobody seemed very pleased with Arsenal's presence, if the fact that everyone tensed up at his words was any indication.

I sighed, deciding to be the mature one. "With Mt. Justice destroyed, this is our only option for a headquarters."

"Except for the Watchtower." He sneered. "It's National news now, you can't pretend it doesn't exist!"

To think this was the Roy that I was friends with when I first started out as Zephyr....what the hell was wrong with me?

"Only Leaguers and Senior members of the League are allowed on the Watchtower." I explained, suppressing an eyeroll.

"You don't qualify." Nightwing summed up.

"Good to know where we stand." Arsenal scoffed.

Dear Lord please tell me he's not staying on the Team...he's worse then Jason was!

***

"You alright?" Dick asked and I felt his eyes on me as he sat in front of his computer.

"Let's just say I'm a little apprehensive about your choices for Alpha squad..." I said, turning to give him a displeased look.

"Arsenal?" Dick asked, eyebrow raised.

"And the fact that there isn't a senior member going with them! The kid has a temper and a vendetta against Luther! And we already know Roy was never good with Covert missions to begin with!" I said, letting my hands wave around. "And look; I trust Tim, I really do, he handled Gamma really well during the mission when we destroyed the Krolotean's Zeta-platforms last New Year's...but there's a big difference between La'gann and Jaime and Bart, Maia, Jaime and Arsenal! What of they get themselves hurt..." I paused for a moment, worse case scenario playing in my head. "Or worse..."

Dick placed a hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him to see that he had removed his mask and was looking at me with a comforting look.

"They'll be okay Lina, they can handle themselves." Dick said, giving me a small smile. "They have a good trainer."

I smile as a small blush crosses my features and I rub the back of my neck. "Thanks Dick..." I took a deep breath, calming my nerves. "I'm...sorry for judging your judgments."

"It's alright Lin'." The teenager said, dropping his hand off my shoulder. "It's...nice too see that you're acting more like your old self."

I looked up to see Dick's smiling face at me, but there was something in his eyes...something I couldn't identify.

"Ya...Shay's visit kind of gave me an attitude-check." I said, grabbing my braid and beginning to fiddle with it. "I need to try to move on from Kaldur...it's obvious he's not coming back and I can't let his decision ruin the rest of my life."

Dick smiled and nodded, but the thing in his eyes grew. His charming blues glimmered with the suspicious feeling and I frowned.

What was going on in that head of his?

"That's good to hear." Dick said, putting his mask back on.

So salty Lina's back! YAY! But I wonder what Dick's hiding...*smirk*