Chapter 31: Messages

Will this be the start of more Seabreeze?

Lina's POV

You might have thought I'd be mad at Maia for leaving with those kids. If their reports said anything, it was that they weren't happy and I didn't blame them. After all, Virgil Hawkins was the only one out of the runaways to not come from an abusive home...and Arsenal wasn't any better.

But I wasn't mad. Disappointed, maybe. Worried, definitely. But not mad. I could never be mad at her.

But everything was better when I got home and my phone began to ring. It was an unknown number and didn't have a French area code. I had just gotten through the door and peeled off my mask when my phone began to vibrate, and I picked it up.

"Hello, Salut." I greeted as I began taking off my uniform.

"Hey Lina..." Maia's voice replied and I sighed in relief.

"You're actually getting in contact, good." I sighed.

"I said I would, didn't I?" Maia said, laughing awkwardly. "Look, I want you to know that...I'm just going to try to help these guys out. I'm still on the team for now if Nightwing'll let me, and I sure as hell am not leaving you. I just...things are going to hell with Mom and...I need a break, y'know?"

I paused for a moment before smiling gently. "I understand Maia."

"You...what?" Maia asked, sounding confused. "You're really not going to tell me to come home? That it's too dangerous?"

"Maia, you're smart and strong. Unlike your mother, I know you know what's best for you. You're mature and smart enough to make your own decisions, and strong enough to take care of yourself." I said, smiling. "Just promise me you won't stay away too long, and that you'll call me whenever you need me."

"...I promise." Maia said, her voice cracking a little and I smiled.

"Don't get all teary-eyed on me now Maia, what happened to he girl I took in who 'would never ever cry'?"

"Shut up!" Maia hissed, her voice cracking again. "I'm just...really happy that I met you Lina."

My heart melted a little at her words and I felt a tear building up behind my eyes.

"I love you kid." I said quietly into my phone.

"I love you too...Sis." She said, and with that: she hung up.

I held my cellphone to my ear for a moment longer as I let her voice run through my mind for a moment. Smiling, I lower the phone and move my hand to wipe the tears running down my cheeks.

No matter what happens, Maia and I will always be together. I'm going to be there for her, and I know she'll do the same. Jesus, I was...so nervous when I took her on as a protege...so worried I'd do something wrong or let her down...or worse...but no, no instead she was the best damn partner I could have ever asked for.

How the hell did I get so lucky?

I only wish her mom could see just how much of an amazing young woman she really is.

A part of me wonders if Mom ever felt this way about me...like when I'd get a complicated routine down or the first time I won a competition.

Did I ever feel this way about Shay...or will I?

I sigh, letting my thoughts run by as I pick up my costume and walk into my bedroom. Throwing my uniform in the hamper, I grab a pair of pajama shorts and a hoodie and slip them on.
I walk over to the mirror to brush my hair, when my eye wanders to the small band of silver wrapped around my finger. In all the commotion, I had forgotten about the ring; it just felt so natural...like it belonged there.