Chapter 20: The Girl

I groan loudly as I slam my phone onto the coffee table, inwardly cursing Dick for not picking up his damn phone.

I answer every time he calls, whether I'm busy or not. But the one time I have an emergency: he can't answer.

Running my hands through my hair in an attempt to calm myself down, I look over at the girl sitting one my couch. She was quietly watching me, studying me as I cursed at my phone.

"Damn kid can't answer his damn phone...and at a time like this!" I curse, groaning and tugging on my hair.

"Bats...am I right?" The girl on my couch shrugged, smiling awkwardly. I gave them a look, nodding awkwardly before turning away and started pacing. "...and your pacing...crash..."

Great...another person using this 'future slang'...

I sighed, massaging my temples. "Sorry...but I...I just need to think." I groaned, my head becoming crowded and full of heavy thoughts.

"Hey, it's crash...I'd probably be acting that way to if my daughter came from the future..." I tensed at their words as a shiver ran down my spine.

"Please...please don't say that..." I sighed. "It's...a little too much to handle right now."

"...sorry." The girl muttered, sinking back into the couch.

After a moment, I looked over the girl on my couch. Now that I knew what I was looking for, I could see the similarities. My eyes, my face-shape, my nose...she had my dancers body and apparently my autism, anxiety and awkwardness. But the light turquoise in her eyes, her eye-shape, strong jaw and build...even the subtle underlining of darker skin; how even though she was super pale, she still had a little natural colour...I could see it. The punk style was new though...

"No...it's alright." I hummed. "If your story is true...then it wasn't your fault you came here."

"So...you believe me?" She piped up, eyes lifting up to look at me hopefully. It was weird, the startling irises looking back at mine.

"I don't know..." I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck. "Nobody outside of the team and league knows about Impulse...and what he told me does match up with you..."

"He told you about me?" She gasped, face-palming. "I swear that kid will accidently mode the world just by talking..."

"He didn't tell me much.." I muttered. "Just your name, how you taught him how to fight...and your father's name..."

Suddenly her face brightened and her eyes widened. "Speaking of father...where is he? On a mission? Is that why you're trying to call Nightwing?"

My stomach felt like it had been punched and I froze, trying to form words in my head.

"...A-are you hungry?" I asked, words escaping my mouth before I could stop them. Apparently evasion was my strategy in this situation​...

"Um...no thanks...I'm good." The girl said, looking at me with a confused look. Thankfully though, she didn't seem to want to push the subject.

Thankfully, a moment later my phone began to ring. Jumping on the excuse to drop the conversation, I picked it up.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Lina, it's Nightwing." Dick's voice said through the phone. "Are you okay? You called me 5 times."

"Um...ya, I'm okay..." I said, looking at the girl as she watched me, her head cocked to the side, eyebrows furrowed. "I just...have a little bit of a situation."

"What's wrong?" Dick asked.

"Um...there's a girl sitting on my couch. She doesn't seem to be any kind of threat or anything but...she's saying that she's...my daughter."