Six.

I smiled over at Happy who was in the driver's seat of my 69' Camaro with his left arm resting on the window sill

I smiled over at Happy who was in the driver's seat of my 69' Camaro with his left arm resting on the window sill. Both windows were down as the wind whipped through the car but it was a nice feeling. He hadn't liked the idea of taking the 'cage' at first but when I pointed out that we didn't really have another option, he got over it.

My music was playing through the speaker and even though it wasn't his type, he listened to it for me. He did a lot for me actually, more than I could ever repay him for. I was beyond thankful when we pulled up to the one-story house and Happy put the car into park. It was green and a little bit run down but it held a certain charm to it. Happy had said it was the house he was raised in.

"You ready to meet my ma?" He asked me as he came around to my side of the car. I was suddenly nervous at the thought of meeting her, Happy said he had never brought a woman home to her before so I felt special.

"Yeah." I gave him a smile and he gave me one back before walking up to the front door. He knocked once before the door was opened by an older Latino woman, she was beautiful. Her once dark hair was almost completely grey and her tan skin held the wrinkles of wisdom. I was reminded in that moment of mine and Happy's Age difference. I was only twenty-seven while he was forty-five, so his mother was at least in her seventies.

"Happy!" The woman said with excitement before he pulled her into a tight hug. "I'm so glad you're here!" She kissed his cheeks before pulling away and looking towards me with a genuine smile on her face. "And this must be her?" She looked at Happy for confirmation. He nodded, a smile on his face, before she turned back to me. She pulled me into a hug, which I gladly returned, before pulling away. "I'm so glad to meet you Carmen. You have no idea how special you are to my boy."

I couldn't help but blush as we followed her into the home and I squeezed Happy's hand when I walked past him, the bravery came out of nowhere. She led us towards the kitchen.

"I'm just about to start making supper, you two take a seat." She motioned to the counter. Happy took the seat but I moved to the sink and washed my hands.

"I hope you don't mind the help." She smiled at me, rubbed my arm and looked over at Happy.

"She treats your mother good, keep her around." He smiled and nodded at her instruction. "Carmen, I don't know what you did to win him over but I'm so grateful that you did." I was figuring out that she got the impression that we were actually a 'thing' but I didn't have the heart to tell her otherwise. If Happy didn't approve then he would have said something.

"All I did was need him for who he was." I smile at him and our eyes meet, I see something I hadn't seen in him before. It was something that looked a lot like adoration. He gave me the tiniest of nods, showing me that I was right and it left my heart racing.

I helped Maria pull out whatever we needed to cook and then we both started shopping things and seasoning the meat for Happy to barbeque outside. She handed it over to him once he had it all warmed up and he took it out back.

"So, Carmen, how did you two meet? Hap never told me." She asked once we were alone and I felt the lump in my throat. How was I supposed to tell her the truth to that story? She actually liked me and I couldn't ruin it with my horrid past.

"Your son came into my life at a very low point in my recent past and he saved my life. I'm not sure what would have happened without him." It was the truth without all the gory details and she seemed to approve as she nodded and smiled.

"My baby, he is so hard on himself. He doesn't see how good of a man he is." I silently agree with her. "When he let me know he was bringing someone with him, I was so confused I asked if you were pregnant!" We both laughed and I blushed. "But then he told me it wasn't like that and I was even more confused." She glanced at me, hoping I would fill her in.

"Happy and I, our relationship isn't built on something that's physical, it's emotional and mental and it's real." In that moment, I had answered my own question as to how I really felt towards this man. I looked at Maria to see that she had tears in her eyes before she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Carmen, you don't know how much that means to me to hear." She pulled away just as Happy walked back in.

"Everything all right in here?" He questioned and I blushed at the sound of his voice.

"Oh, it's perfect." Maria answers, giving me a knowing smile and I can't help but laugh.

Happy went to the fridge and grabbed two beers, handing one of them to me. I went to open it but smirked when I saw that he had done it for me.

A phone started ringing somewhere in the house and Maria said, "Let me go get that. I'll be right back." It gave Happy and I a moment alone.

"Why was ma crying?"

I shook my head, "That's a secret but don't worry, they were happy tears."

"You said something that made ma cry happy tears? What did you tell her?"

"I told her how I felt about you." I looked into his eyes to see that they were dark with thought. He stood back to his feet and moved around the counter to stand in front of me, he looked down at me and I wasn't sure what he was going to do. I looked at his lips then back to his eyes, silently begging him to kiss me but I didn't have to beg him long. 

He leaned down and placed his lips on mine in what would be our first kiss. It was softer than I had expected him to be but it was amazing. He deepened the kiss slightly, licking my bottom lip for an entrance which I gave to him, as his hand snaked behind my neck and pulled me closer to him.

"That was your aunt!" Maria called as she started walking towards the kitchen. Nervously, I jumped away from Happy right before Maria walked in. She looked between us and smirked. "You don't have to hide it from me." She joked but Happy was already going back outside to turn the steaks over. "His Aunt Lauren is going to come over for dinner, you'll love her but I'm the better sister."

I had a feeling that I would definitely be back to visit Happy's mother, with or without him. I had no idea where our relationship was going but all I did know was I had never felt like that when kissing someone. I wanted more of him, all of him. It left me wanting to know everything about him, inside and out.

A/N
Hey guys! I hope you're liking it!! I still have about 20 chapters already written and ready to publish. Just waiting to hear what people think. Hope you liked the update!!!