Prologue

Another day, another dollar, is what people use to get themselves out of bed. Doesn't work for me. What gets me out of bed is another free funnel cake. Yep, I'm up now. I take a shower and dress in my uniform. "How do I even survive with this pay?" I mumble to myself as I lock my door.

I start walking to my job. Yes, I quit my café job just so I can work at this carnival. Yes, this is only a summer thing. And yes, the last week of summer I will beg my café boss to take me back because that's what I do every year. But hey, the plan works. Except this time. She said no......

I should enjoy my day though. Have fun at my fun job then go home and stress over a cup of coffee, trying to find a new job. I walk behind my booth and await for the customers to roll in.

• • • • •

The day went by so fast. Why am I lying to myself? Nothing drags more than hearing "again" and having a dollar thrown to your face hundreds of times. You know what that means though, hundreds of dollars! Which will all be split to give you a very small portion of fifty-five dollars.

Doesn't seem too small. That's one thousand six hundred fifty a month. My rent is ready one thousand. I have six hundred fifty left. Luckily I don't pay for gas. Everyday for lunch I buy a five dollar sandwich and drink for one dollar. For a month that's one hundred eighty, meaning I have four hundred seventy left- and why am I showing you guys my budget?

"Excuse me lady, I wanna go again." The boy waves his dollar in my face. I load him up and put the dollar in my pouch. Well anyways, just add the groceries and laundry. I barely have any money for myself. And don't even get me started on these taxes. "Hellooooooo." He slurs, waving another dollar. Doesn't this kid get tired?

I lean on the counter watching the boy fail yet once again. Who's child is this and why are they still here? I'd assume the mother should be looking for him by now. He's been here forever. Or maybe she figures he'd still be here and isn't worried. I know I wouldn't. Sometimes determined isn't the best for you. The little timer I have beeps interrupting the boy from saying "again"....again.

I see Mark, my switch out, strolling over. I slide off my pouch and toss it to him before scrambling over the counter.

"Good luck. He's not a quitter." I tell him as I walk by. Break time has finally fallen upon. Boy am I relieved. If I heard one more-

"Again, again, again!" The boy yells as if he'll die if he doesn't get another try this very moment. I cringe, as of I wasn't quite far enough to escape his screams of despair. I pass all the booths and spot Ms.Yulema.

"Good afternoon." I wave to her and she smiles. Before I turn my head back she waves me over.

"Siaani, you have always been so good to me." She holds my hands in hers. Awwwwwww, I'm flustered! "Every year after the next, you've always done favors for me with no reluctant tone. I want to give you something very special." She replaces her hands with a box. "It's worth one wish." She taps my nose.

I stared at the gypsy in awe. Her headress is a dark magenta with sequins across it. I always loved her hair. I marveled it and the jewels she had at the ends. She's the coolest old person ever. The thought almost made me laugh. I ended up smiling and she smiled back.

"Thank you."

"You deserve it. After all you need something to remember me by." I furrowed my eyebrows. "This is my last year. I must go elsewhere."

"Wait why? Can't you come back?" I search her eyes for answers, but nothing arises. I don't get why.

"My work here is done." She presses her lips in a smile. "Maybe we'll cross ways later in your new life." She walks away behind her curtains.

"What do you mean?" I bring back the curtains, not finding her there. I walk into her little nook, her nowhere to be found. I sigh. I guess that was our goodbye.

• • • • •

I plopped down on my couch. My eyes were closing and I was about to fall asleep when a loud thump sounded over me. If Mr. and Mrs.Tains don't get their children to shut the f-

THUMP THUMP THUMP

I loudly groan and hold the pillow over my head. I hate this place. I swear the second I get enough- MONEY! I need to find my job! I run outside to find the mail empty. So much for a newspaper. I'm gonna have to go modern. I grab my phone. Ironic that that wasn't my first choice.

Skip, skip, skip, maybe.....nah. I searched for almost half an hour, and to my luck, no job I'd want. I'll find a job tomorrow....I think I'm gonna sleep.

Ping!

Something drops on the floor waking me up. Oh yea, my wish. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Ms.Yulema has gotten palm readings right all the time. I mean I guess she has. Better than not doing anything.

"I wish I can live a better, no perfect, wait no, the life of my dreams."