chapter four

I pushed my way forward some, my eyes landing on the boy. His head swiveled around, taking everything in. The boys chuckled, starring. Some reached out and poked him. I growled "Hey knock it off!" I snapped at them. The boy's eyes snapped to me. He turned his head to the side, confused. I smiled slightly. He returned to looking around.
"Look at the Greenbean." A scratchy voice said. I groan inwardly knowing it was Gally. "Gonna break his shuck neck checkin' out the new digs." Several boys laughed. My eyes hardened into a glare.
"Shut your hole, Gally!" I snapped looking at the taller boy. He glared at me slightly. I turned back to the boy. "Where am I?" He asked. His voice was higher then it should be by the looks of him.
"Nowhere good." Alby said "Just slim yourself nice and calm."
"Which Keeper he gonna get?" A boy asked from the back.
"I told ya, shuck-face," a shrill voice replied. "He's a klunk, so he'll be a Slopper-- no doubt about it." The boy giggled.
Confusion crossed the boy's face. Gally started talking again. "Even do that much, bet my liver on it." I swear I'm going to punch his shuck-face in!
"Shut your holes!" Alby yelled. "Keep yapping and next break'll be cut in half!" I snickered at that. Gally glared at me, anger covering his face. Gally walked away, the new boy watching as he walked away. I bite my bottom lip. '  Gally need to calm down for once!'  I thought.

Alby took a step forward. "It's a long story, shank." He voiced. "Piece by piece, you'll learn- I'll be takin' you on the tour tomorrow. Till then...Just don't break anything." Alby stuck his hand out to the boy. "Name's Alby." He waited his hand outstretched.

The boy refused to shake Alby's hand. He turned and walked over to a tree. I looked at him confused. "Then tell me." He called out. "Tell me the long story."

Alby glanced at us, rolling his eyes. The boy seemed to study us, his eyes landing on me longer then the others. "Seriously​." He said "Where am I?" Alby walked over sitting down. The boys followed sitting down packed tightly together. I sat down near the back. "If you ain't scared." Alby started "You ain't human. Act any different and I'd throw you off the Cliff because it'd mean you're a psycho." I smiled slightly. Sometimes he wasn't a ray of sunshine  and by sometimes I mean most of the times.
"The Cliff?" The boy asked, face going white. The blood leaving it.
"Shuck it." Alby said, rubbing his eyes. "Ain't no way to start these conversations, you get me? We don't kill shanks like you here, I promise. Just try and avoid being killed, survive, whatever." He paused, the boy's face went whiter, pity flowed through my veins.
"Man." Alby said with a sigh, running a hand through his short hair. "I ain't good at this- you're the first Greenbean since Nick was killed." I froze as he brought up Nick, my breath hitched in my throat as I looked down at my hands. I glanced up, the boy's eyes wide. Newt walked up, slapping Alby across the head playfully. I muffled a chuckle. "Wait for the bloody Tour, Alby." He said his accent was music to my ears.  "Kid's gonna have a buggin' heart attack, nothin' even been heard yet." Newt bent down. He put his hand out to the boy.  "Name's Newt, Greenie, and we'd all be right cheery if ya'd forgive our klunk-for-brains new leader, here." I smirked.
The boy shook Newt's hand. "Pipe it, shuck-face," Alby grunted as he pulled Newt down to sit by him. "At least he can understand ​half my words." A few boys laughed along with me.

Alby spread his arms out. "This is the Glade, all right? It's where we live, where we eat, where we sleep. We call ourselves Gladers. That's all you-" Alby was cut off by the boy. "Who sent me here?" He asked, I couldn't decide if he was fearful or angry. "How'd--" Alby's hand shot out grabbing his shirt before he could finish, he leaned on his knees. "Get up, shank, get up." Alby stood, pulling the boy up with him.

He back up trying to get away from Alby. I frowned as he back up against the tree. "No interruptions, boy!" Alby shouted. I flinched some. "Whacker, if we told you everything, you'd die on the spot, right after you klunked your pants. And your ain't no good to us then, are ya?"
"I don't even know what you're talking about." He said in a slow, steady voice. Newt reached out grabbing Alby's shoulders. I sigh in relief as he stepped in. "Alby, lay off a bit. You're hurtin' more then helpin', ya know?" He said.

Alby let go of the boy. "Ain't got time to be nice, Greenbean. Old life's over, new life's begun. Learn the rules quick, listen, don't talk. You get me?" Alby said. The boy looked at Newt, eyes filled with hope. Newt nods "Greenie, you get him, right?" He looked upset. "Yeah." He said.

"Good that." Alby said. "First Day. That what today is for ya. Night's comin', Runners'll be back soon. The Box came late today, ain't got time for the Tour. Tomorrow morning." He turned to Newt. "Get him a bed, get him to sleep."
"Good that." Newt said.
Alby looked at him "A few weeks, you'll be happy. You'll be happy and helpin'." Alby pushed his way through the crowd. I rolled my eyes at him.

The boys slowly wandered away. The boy folded his arms, closed his eyes and toke a deep breath. "What did I do?" He whispered. "What did I do- why'd they send me here?"
Newt put his hand on his shoulder as I walked over slowly. "What you're feelin', we've all felt it. First day, coming out of that dark box. Things are bad, they are, and they'll get much worse for ya soon, that's the truth. But down the road a piece, you'll be fightin' true and good. I can tell you're not a bloody sissy." I laughed a bit.
The boy looked at me. "Chuck'll be a good fit for ya." I said softly. "Little fat shank, but nice when all's said and done. Stay here. I'll be back." Newt finished.

He barely finished when a scream pierced the air. High and shrill. The boy jumped as did me and Newt. "Shuck it." He said. "Can't the bloody Med-jacks handle that boy for ten minutes without needin' my help?" He shook his head, lightly kicking the boys foot. "Find Chuckie, tell him he's in charge of your sleepin' arrangements." Then Newt turned and ran towards the Homestead. The boy slid down the tree. He closed his eyes, tilting his head back. I sat down by him watching his closely. He wasn't a bad looking fellow for the most part. But someone else held my heart.