chapter nine

I wiped my forehead as the blazing sun, shined down on us. I looked around, standing up, I stretched. Newt looked over at me. "What's ya doing?" He asked in his lovely British accent. "Stretching." I told him as my back popped. He looked at me with concern before I told him I was fine. He nods his head. A booming, ringing alarm filled the air. I turned to Newt confused, he jumped up. "Newt, what's going on!" I heard Thomas call. Newt glanced over, then nodded and walked over. He was always so calm. I followed him, I wanted to know why the box was coming. Newt hit Thomas on the back. "Means a bloody Newbie's coming up in the box." Newt paused, waiting for a reaction. "Right now." I frowned my brows. But why, how? I'm so confused. "So?" Thomas asked, clearly not getting it. "So?" Newt replied, his jaw dropping. "Tomcat we've never had two Newbies show up in the same month, much less two days in a row." I replied. The tall boy looked at me as Newt and I took off running to the Homestead.

The alarm finally stopped after two minutes of the blaring sound. A crowd was gathered around the middle of the courtyard as the box was coming. I pushed my away to the front. "Shy." Newt started. "You know we like you to stay in the back so you don't get hurt." I turned to gaze up at him. "Newt I'm staying in the front." I said firmly. He opened his mouth but I shushed him. He rolled his chocolate eyes, a small smirk on his lips. Thomas came up to stand by me to see onto the box. "How goes it, Greenbean?" I heard Chuck ask. I turned to the small boy ruffling his hair. "Fine." Thomas replied. He pointed to the doors of the box. "Why is everyone freaking out? Isn't this how you all got here?" I rolled my eyes and Chuck shrugged. "I don't know. Guess it's always been real regular-like. One a month, every month, same day. Maybe whoever's in charge realized you were nothing but a big mistake, sent someone to replace you." Chuck giggled as he elbowed Thomas in the rids. I scold at the boy. "You know what Chuck no song tonight." I declared. Chuck's face fell, but he quickly shrugged it off. Thomas shot him a glare, but I could tell it was fake. "You're annoying. Seriously." Thomas said. "Yeah, but we're buddies, now, right?" Chuck laughed fully this time, a squeaky sort of snort. "Looks like you're not giving me much choice on that one." Thomas said. The kid folded his arms, looking very satisfied. "Glad that's settled, Greenie. Everyone needs a buddy in this place." I nudged his arm. "I'm your friend too, right?" I gave him puppy eyes. He rolled his eyes playfully and nodded. I grinned. "Yay!" Thomas grabbed Chuck by his collar, joking around. "Okay, buddy, then call me by my name. Thomas. Or I'll throw you down the hole after the box leaves." He then released Chuck, something flashing in his eyes. "Wait a minute, have you guys ever—" Chuck interrupted Thomas. "Tried it." Chuck said. "Tried what?" Thomas asked. I rolled my eyes, again. "Going down in the box after it makes a delivery." I answered. "It won't do it. Won't go down until it's completely empty." Thomas started to think. "I already knew that, but what about—" Chuck cut him off. "Tried it." Thomas looked irritated at the young boy. "Man you're hard to talk to. Tried what?" I watched them. "Going through the hole after the box goes down. Can't. Doors will open, but there's just emptiness, blackness, nothing. No ropes, nada. Can't do it." Chuck said as he crossed his arms. "Did you—" Thomas started. "Tried it." Chuck and I said at the same time. Thomas groaned, causing me to laugh. "Okay, what?" He asked. "We threw somethings into the hole. Never heard them land. It goes on for a long time." Chuck said. Thomas paused. "What are you, a mind reader or something?" He said sarcasm dripping from his words. "Just brilliant, that's all." Chuck winked at Thomas. "Chuck, never wink at me again." Thomas voiced with a smile. "So, how long until the delivery gets here?" Chuck looked at me to answer. "Usually takes about half an hour after the alarm." I said. We wondered away from the box.

Thomas was quite for a bit. "You're sure about the hole? Have you ever..." He paused, as if he was waiting. We looked at him to continue. "Have you ever tried making a rope?" He asked. My face fell. George..... "Yeah, they did. With the ivy. Longest one they could possibly make. Let's just say that little experiment didn't go so well." Chuck said. Thomas looked at us. "What do you mean?" I bite my lip. Chuck continued. "I wasn't here, but she was." He pointed at me. "But I heard a kid who volunteered to do it—" I stopped him. "His name was George." I said. "Not just a kid, George." Chuck nodded. "George volunteered to do it. He only gone down about ten feet when something swooshed through the air and cut him clean in half." I looked down. That was such a sweet boy, wouldn't hurt a fly. "What?" Thomas laughed. I snapped my head up, glaring at the boy. "I don't believe that for a second." Chuck looked at him. "Oh, yeah, smart guy? I've seen the sucker's bones. Cut in half like a knife through whipped cream. They keep him in a box to remind future kids not to be so stupid." Chuck said. I looked at him. "Justin wasn't stupid. He was brave." I muttered. "You're serious?" Thomas asked, disbelief in his voice. Chuck and I just stared at him. "I don't lie, Gree—uh, Thomas. Come on, let's go back over and see who's coming up. I can't believe you only have to be the Greenie for one day. Klunkhead."