Chapter five

The boy sat there for a few moments. I watched him, tilting my head to the side. Most people ask a lot of questions, but he hasn't said a thing really. A metallic clicking sounds from the branches above us. He scrambled to his feet, circling the tree. Craning his neck. I chuckled slightly.

"That was one of them beetle blades." I heard Chuck say. I turned my head to him giving him a smile. The boy looked at Chuck. "A beetle what?" He asked. "A beetle blade." Chuck said. "Won't hurt ya unless you're stupid enough to touch one of them." I finished. Another scream tore through the air. I cringe 'poor Ben' I thought. "What's going on over there?" The boy asked. "Don't know." Chuck replied. "Ben's in there, sicker then a dog. They got him."

"They?" The Greenie asked.
"Yeah." Chuck said. I watched them, standing up.
"Who are they?"
"Better hope you never find out." Chuck said a comfortable look on his face. Chuck stuck his hand out. "My name's Chuck. I was the Greenbean until you showed up." He quickly shook Chuck's hand. "Why is everyone calling me Greenbean?" He asked. I giggled softly. "Cause your the newest newbie." I said walking up beside him. He was taller then me so I had to look up. Ben screamed again. I frowned looking to the ground. "It sounds like someone's dying in there." Greenbean said. Chuck spoke up. "He'll be okay. No one does if they make it back in time to get the Serum. It's all or nothing. Dead or not dead. Just hurts a lot." The boy paused looking between me and Chuck. "What hurts a lot?" He asked. Chuck's eyes widened. "Getting stung by the Grievers." I said crossing my arms over me. "Grievers?" He asked.

Chuck shrugged, looked away and rolled his eyes. The boy sighed frustrated, he leaned against the tree. "Looks like you barely know more than I do." The boy said. I nod. "I'm Shiloh by the way." I muttered to him. He nods a small smile on his lips. "Chuck, how...Old do you think I am?" He asked.

Chuck scanned the boy. "I'd say you're sixteen. And in case you were wondering, five foot nine....Brown hair. Oh, and ugly as fried liver on a stick." He laughed. I slapped Chuck playfully. "Be nice." I muttered to him. Chuck chuckled. "What you think he's cute?" Chuck asked me. I felt my face heat up. "No!" I barked at him. The boy zoned out thank goodness.

"Are you serious?" He asked Chuck. "How...." He stopped unsure of what to ask. "Don't worry. You'll be all whacked for a few days, but then you'll get used to this place. I have. We live here, this is it. Better than living in a pile of klunk." Chuck squinted. "Klunk's another word for poo." He said. I nudged his shoulder, shaking my head.

"That's nice." The boy said. He stood walking past Chuck. He started walking to the Homestead. I got up following him. Chuck followed me untill we caught up. "What's your name?" Chuck asked him.

"What?" The boy asked. "Your name? You still haven't told us- and I know you remember that much." Chuck said looking at him.
"Thomas." He said it was barely hearable. I nod smiling. "Nice to meet you, Thomas." Chuck said. "Don't you worry, I'll take care of you. I've been here a whole month, and I know the place inside and out. You can count on Chuck, okay?" I snort a laugh. Thomas had almost reached the door.

He turned to Chuck. "You can't even tell me anything. I wouldn't call that taking care of me." He turned back to the door. "Tomcat calm down. We are just trying to be your friends." I said. "I don't need friends." He said, frowning his brows at the nickname. He pulled the door open walking in. I followed in. "Hey, look, it's the Greenbean," Someone said. I turned to see Gally. "This shank probably klunked his pants when he heard old Benny baby scream like a girl. Need a new diaper, shuck-face?" Anger boiled in me "Leave Been alone." I snapped.
"My name's Thomas." He said making for the stairs. Gally stepped in front of him, holding up a hand. I walked to Thomas quickly grabbing his arm gently. "Hold up there, Greenie." He jerked his thumb in the direction of the upper floor. "Newbies aren't allowed to see someone who's been....Taken. Newt and Alby won't allow it."
"What's your problem?" Thomas asked. "I don't even know where I am. All I want is some help." I tugged his arm causing him to turn to me. "I'll help you Tomcat." I said. "Listen to me, Greenbean." Gally said, folding his arms. "I've seen you before. Something's fishy about you showing up here, and I'm gonna find out what."

I looked on confused. "I've need seen you before in my life. I have no idea who you are, and I couldn't care less." Thomas spat. Gally snickered, his face grew serious. "I've....seen you, shank. Not too many in these parts can say they've been stung." He pointed at the stairs. "I have. I know what old Benny baby's going through. I've been there. And I saw you during the Changing." Gally poked Thomas in the chest. "And I bet your first meal from Frypan that Benny'll say he's seen ya, too"

I wrinkled my eyebrows glancing between Gally and Thomas. "Griever got ya wettin' yourself?" He asked Thomas. "A little scared now? Don't want get stung, do ya?"

I heard moans come from Ben. The poor boy was in so much pain. "If Newt went up there, I wanna talk to him." Gally looked at him for a bit before shaking his head. "You know what? You're right, Tommy-- I shouldn't be so mean to Newbies. Go on upstairs and I'm sure Alby and Newt'll fill you in. Seriously go on. I'm sorry." I glared at Gally. He lightly slapped Thomas's shoulder.

"What your name?" Thomas asked. "Gally. And don't let anyone fool you. I'm the real leader here, not the two geezer shanks upstairs." When he said that I growled no one talks about Newt and Alby that way. "Me. You can call me Captain Gally if you want." Gally smiled. I rolled my eyes. "Okay." Thomas said. "Captain Gally it is." He exaggerated a salute. I bursted out laughing. Gally looked around face bright red.

"Just go up the stairs." Gally said. "And stay away from me, you little Slinthead." He pointed up. "Fine." Thomas said. "You're not supposed to." Chuck said. I nod in agreement. "You're a newbie, you can't go up there." Gally sneered "Go, go on up."

Thomas started up the stairs. I frowned, looking down. "The Changing!" Gally shouted. "Look forward to it, shuck-face!" I growled hurrying after Thomas. "Stop." I hissed at him. He didn't listen and turned the handle opening the door. Newt and Alby crouched over Ben who laid on the bed.

I looked at Thomas then Ben. He was a twisted, pale figure writhing in agony, chest bare and hideous. Tight, rigid cords of sickly green veins webbed across the boy's body and limbs. I struggled not to vomit. Now I knew why Newt didn't want me up here. Alby jumped up blocking the view. I was relieved by that. He pushed Thomas out of the room, then slammed the door shut behind him. "What're you doing up here, greenie!" Alby yelled. He then turned to me eyes ablaze with anger and disappointment. "Shiloh you should know better!" He yelled at me. I stepped back bumping into Thomas. He moved me behind him. "It wasn't her fault. I...Uh.. want some answers." Thomas said. He looked down at the floor. "Get your runtcheeks down those stairs, right now." Alby ordered. "Chuck'll help you. If I see you again before tomorrow morning, you ain't reachin' another one alive. I'll throw you off the Cliff myself, you get me?" Thomas pushed past Alby, hand gripping my wrist pulling me with him. He headed down stairs. He turned to Chuck. "Get me away from these guys." He said.

"You got it." Chuck said, sounding thrilled to be needed. "But first we should get you some food from Frypan."

"I don't know if I can ever eat again." He said. I nod in agreement picturing Ben. Chuck nodded. "Yeah, you will. I'll meet you at the same tree as before. Ten minutes." He nods, still haven't let go of my wrist. It wasn't cold out, but Thomas shuttered again.