A quiet birthday and Happy Christmas by @TaniHanes

When I first took a look at Tani's profile, I smiled when I saw that she had described herself as an ex-substitute teacher who loves boy bands and animals.  I realised that nobody who describes themselves like that should go unnoticed, right? When I contacted her to ask her to contribute to this compilation of one-shots I was not at all surprised by her polite, sweet nature. Boy band enthusiast who loves animals, how can you go wrong with that?

Tani is originally from central California but she considers herself lucky to be living in Manhattan. Her completed book "Diving Deep" is a Wattpad featured story and additionally, it was featured in Cosmo.  I am more than certain that her new story "Pete and Daisy" will have the same success. Here are two of her one-shots that are so cute and sweet like she is. Go follow her and read her work people!

 Go follow her and read her work people!

A quiet birthday

It was quiet. Too quiet. You squinted against the early morning light, unable to remember the last time you'd actually awakened on your own. You glanced toward the baby monitor on your nightstand.

It was off. WTF? I was never off, it couldn't be off. What if you were needed? You turned to his side of the bed, but it was empty, the covers thrown back. You touched the pillow, but it was cold.

How long had he been up? You practically vaulted out of the bed, not even looking for your slippers as you scurried down the hall toward the nursery. You slowed down as you approached.

The door was open, and you could hear murmurings, rustlings, susurrations emanating from within. You stuck your head cautiously around the doorway, not wanting to make your presence known, or interrupt whatever was going on.

He was seated in the oversized, squashy rocking chair, a baby in each arm, tiny bundles cradled, small, round heads peeking out. He'd taken the time to swaddle them, one in the blanket with the elephants, the other in the peach colored flannel. That explained why they were quiet, anyway; normally they'd be asking for their breakfast, vociferously.

One of them let out a preliminary cry, a cautious sound which made your breasts tingle; this was still new to you. Normally, only he could cause that kind of visceral reaction in your body. Hopefully you wouldn't actually start to let down while standing in the hall.

"Shh, shh," he soothed, dropping a kiss on your son's perfect, pink forehead. "You can wait a bit longer, right, little jelly bean? Your mummy's so tired, let's let her sleep a bit more hmm? Call it an early birthday present?"

The baby he was addressing stretched out a miniature hand, skin nearly translucent in the winter sunlight which shone through the window, and his father nuzzled at it, laughing softly. "Trying to punch me in the snooter? What've I ever done to you, eh? Only known you for nine months and three weeks."

The bundled occupant of the other blanket gurgled, and the curly brown head tilted toward it immediately, attentively. "And what do you want, little miss? Not getting enough attention?" He kissed her, too, lingeringly, lips pressed lovingly to her forehead. "Like your mum, aren't you?"