Chapter 19

Astoria and Snape appeared at the gates that lead to the manor. Astoria waves her wand at the gates. The gates open allowing them to enter. The walk inside and pass the gates. The gates close behind them as they continue to walk up the path towards the manor. As the manor comes into sight, a slight gasp escapes from Snape. The manor was not as big as the Malfoy's, but it was still huge from what Snape could see. It was made of bricks, with several smoke stacks for the chimneys. It had many windows and two sets of stairs that lead up to the double doors at the front of the manor. Above the door, on the roof, was a stone gargoyle statue. There was an observatory at the top of the manor where they could look at the stars at night, if they wish to. The lawn and bushes looked well trimmed. He could see small statues on either side, lining the path, leading up to the manor. There were two water fountains. One on each side of the stairs. The fountain consists of a mermaid sitting on a flat rock. Water pouring from a shell-like pitcher. The manor was a beautiful sight to see. He has seen parts of the inside of the manor, but never the outside. Astoria chuckles at Snape's reaction. Snape replies in awe, "So this is what the manor looks like from the outside..." Astoria smiles and replies, "Yes, Severus. Welcome home."

Hand in hand, they walked up the stairs and up to the double doors. Astoria knocked on the door with one of the lion-shaped door knockers and waited. Her mother's voice was heard, "Who is it?" Astoria calls back, "It's me mother, Astoria, with my fiance Sev." After a few moments, the door opened revealing a smiling Eleanor, "Welcome home my daughter and future son-in-law. Come in! Come in!" Astoria and Snape smiles as they walk into the manor. Eleanor closes and locks the door behind them. Eleanor says, "Why don't you unpack Astoria, while we show Severus here, to his room and of course show him around the manor. You can meet us in the dining room for dinner." Astoria smiles, "Of course, mother." Astoria hugs her mother and kisses her on the cheek, then turns to Snape and said, "Mother will show you around, Sev. You'll meet our house elves along the way. We have twenty." Astoria kisses Snape on the lips. Snape kisses back, then said, "I look forward to the tour. This manor is absolutely incredible! I am in complete awe..." Eleanor chuckles, "Come along, Severus. There is much to see before dinner." Astoria smiles and heads up the grand staircase to unpack. Snape can see that the grand staircase splits into two at the top of the stairs, with one going to the right, the other to the left. The carpet going up the stairs was a deep red. The banister was made of fine cedar wood. The ends of the banister was carved into a spiral. Snape follows Eleanor as they went through a set of finely polished, oak doors, into a parlor. Snape recognized the parlor. Eleanor says smiling, "This is of course the parlor room. It is also the very room that you saw when your head was in the fireplace." Eleanor then lead Snape down the hall and into another large room, "The dining room." Snape looks around the dining room. The dark oak wooden floors was beautiful, The dining table was made of finely carved ebony. The tablecloth was dark red. There were six chairs around the table. The chairs were made of ebony, and were also finely carved. A bouquet of flowers served as a center piece on the table.

Eleanor lead Snape into the kitchen, where the house elves were preparing dinner. Some were cleaning the dishes and silverware, while the others cooked. Eleanor said to the house elves, "May I have your attention please?" The house elves stopped what they were doing and looked at Eleanor. One of them steps forward. The house elf that stepped foward looks similar to Dobby, except that his eyes were grey. The house elf squeaked, "Yes, Mistress Eleanor?" Eleanor said, "I'd like all of you to meet Seveus Snape. He will be living with us from this moment forward. I would like you all to treat him as you would treat us." The house elf bowed to Eleanor, "Yes, Mistress Eleanor, We will treat Master Snape well." The other house elves bowed to Eleanor too. Eleanor said, "Good. You may resume your duties." The house elves went back to work. Eleanor turns to Snape and said, "As you can see, this is the kitchen. These house elves are free, so they do get paid, But they will only accept enough to pay for wool and yarn, so that they can make their own clothes." Snape still in awe, says, "I see. They are quite respectful. They still do what they are told, as if they aren't free." Eleanor smiles, "Yes, I know. It's all they know. They are happy as long as they are working for someone. They live here with us. I had my husband make little rooms for them to sleep in." Snape smiles, "Ah. Good. I am glad they are treated well here." Eleanor smiles, "Of course. They should be treated well." Snape replies, smiling, "Indeed."