six

MRS. HAMMOND droned on and on about kinematics and whatever else came with it.

        I could not help but feel absolutely frustrated that I was not getting any of it. It did not help that I was already bad in Mathematics, and of course, Physics had to contain formulas to help me succeed. I glanced at the simple clock that hung on the wall across from me. Just a little bit more.

        Sitting by the window sometimes helped because I could just look outside and admire the vermillion scenery. I said sometimes because the number of times I had been caught doing so in the first month of the school year was... Well, many.

        Someone suddenly plopped down on the empty seat beside me just as I was watching a man pull a red wagon with a bundle of kids as passengers. I averted my gaze to the unexpected visitor. There were about eighteen people in the room, Mrs. Hammond and I included. Tables only sat two at a time and no one had ever sat beside me before, so why now?

        Light blue eyes stared back at me and I straightened up in my seat, realizing who that person was. She was looking at me nervously and a little too close for comfort, in which I had to fight the urge to push her further away from me. I did not want to make a scene. Plus, I am not quite a fan of unnecessary physical action.

        "What're you doing here?" I asked quietly, making sure that Mrs. Hammond was writing on the board first.

        "I wanted to talk to you," she responded softly.

        "Amanda, you're not even from this class," I quipped back and her mouth clamped shut. Clearing her throat, she faced the board. I noticed that her thumb had started scratching her finger.

        How could someone with such confidence be so nervous around her ex-best friend? I understood that she abandoned me, but we were friends once. I kept it civil... Or at least I thought I did.

        "Do you think we could..." She murmured and trailed off her words. Clearing her throat again, she glanced at me expectantly. I knew exactly what she wanted, I was just not sure if I was ready to hear her explanation. I had to avert my gaze from the sky I pictured in her light blue eyes. It always reminded me of a lovely, summer day sky. Peaceful and warm.

        "We can't do this here," I mumbled back.

        "I am sorry," she whispered.

        "I know," I stated matter of factly. I did know she was sorry. I knew that she wanted to explain herself, but I should not be the one to ask for it. Although, she seemed to always pick the wrong time to attempt such a talk.

        If I were to listen to her explanation, she should be making an effort to produce it at a proper time. I sighed and murmured under my breath, "I just don't know why you did what you did."

        "That's why I wan—"

        "Ms. Carter," an intimidating voice spoke from the front of the classroom. Amanda's speech halted instantly and she directed her eyes at the speaker. Mrs. Hammond pushed her glasses up to the bridge of her nose. "You shouldn't be here if you're just going to disrupt the class."

        "I apologize, Mrs. Hammond. I'll leave right away," she said confidently, all signs of nervousness from earlier had vanished. Standing up, she strutted out of the class without looking back. Her figure disappeared through the doorway and Mrs. Hammond continued with her lesson.

        I sighed, finally attempting to follow along with her speech about motion and power. Moments later, my phone buzzed in my sweater. I slowly pulled it out and quickly read the message notification. A smile formed on my lips