twenty one

"You should always cut away from yourself, in case the knife slips."

        Realizing that I was not spending Halloween with my mother, I was extremely glad when Autumn brought me out to the backyard for pumpkin carving. Not going to lie to you, I would much rather spend the night with her than Amanda. She had been running around with me all night, getting me to try mysterious cocktails, most of them I spat out as if it was lava. It was nice to finally have some time alone with the green-eyed adventurer sitting right beside me.

        I got to work right away, stabbing the pumpkin in several places and finishing a decent jack o' lantern just a little after Autumn finished hers. She twisted it around to show me. Autumn's squash looked like an absolute mess, one she claimed to be Voldemort but... I got bad news for you, sir. With excitement, I aimed to educate her with pumpkin carving.

        "I know I didn't exactly draw a face beforehand, but I believe it's fairly easy to figure out where the nose should be. Unlike yours, this one will have two eyes," I joked while I glided the knife to make the nose of the pumpkin. Pushing the orange triangle off from the inside, I added in with a laugh, "Oh, and a note to you, Voldemort has slits for a nose, not a black hole."

        My heart jumped.

        Instead of getting a verbal, witty response, I felt her cold fingers graze my jaw, then stopping right under my chin. What felt like an electrical surge ran through my body. I turned to her and she seemed stuck in a daze, a genuine smile plastered across her face, her emerald irises twinkling from the lights above us. Her hand moved again, cupping my cheek. I was not sure if she was aware of this or not.

        It didn't look like she did.

        Her eyes trailed downwards and a neutral expression emerged. Well, that was until she visibly licked her lips. I cleared my throat.

        "You've been staring," I said loud enough that it seemed to have broken her thought process. I watched her intently. Her throat bobbed upwards like she took a gulp. Taking her gloved hand in mine, I intended to bring it down between us, but she retracted it, pretty much taking mine with hers. Withdrawing my hand, I stared up at her eyes. It was more dilated than I had ever seen it.

        "Does it bother you?" She voiced out softly, a slight rasp in her warm utterance.

        "Not really, no," I mumbled, matching her volume. For some reason, I felt really nervous. I tried to figure out what I should do at that moment, but all I knew was that I was getting thirsty. Must have been the mix of rum, whiskey and a random green alcoholic beverage. If I made that cocktai in that bartender game on Y8, his head would have exploded. I fixated my gaze on her the same time she spoke again.

        "Can I try something?"

        The words rang through my head. The last time she said that exact phrase, it caused my heart to flare with unknown emotions, as well as my cheeks. I nodded reluctantly, giving her the go for whatever it was that she wanted to try. 

        Everything slowed down at that point.

        Her eyes, those beautiful eyes, were fixed on mine, then to my lips, then back to my eyes. In that moment, I just knew. I already knew what was about to happen. I had seen it countless of times, especially when I watched those sappy movies. The Vow had a lot of those as well. Figured that would ruin the surprise for me, but it didn't.

        I could swear to you I stopped breathing when I watched her lean slowly, as if she was giving me the time to run, or maybe to stop her. But for her to put her thumb on my bottom lip... Made all the energy I had to even attempt to move vanish, just like that. I was stuck. Rooted.